Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

carry tools?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
ernie, for some of our members, 50% reception time is not good enough. :rofl:

Ryan

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Sad thing is, AAA is getting hard to get use out here, they aren't paying well enough for the tow services to come out anymore, many tow services won't accept it any more. OnStar is nice, when you have signal... but I don't have to pay a monthly fee to carry my own tools and equipment...
When I broke down at the track, I called a Tow service I know. I like to know whose towing my baby. When I got the $275 bill from him the next week, I sent it in to AAA for reimbursement and said that I had no service signal in that area and that he happened to be at the track that night too. Four days after sending in the form, I got a check for $275! I consider it a good service.

Free for the first 12 months... and it works off of a satellite. Barring being upside down, you'll have signal. I do know, for fact, though, that the antenna pointing into the dirt will guarantee no signal. :rofl:

I never plan to buy a new car (of any brand) in my lifetime. Those "FREE" things are not free. You lose a lot of money when you drive it off the lot.

I will buy something 3-4 years old and not get the "free" service. The explorer was 4 years old when I bought it for about 1/3 of what it cost when it was new.

I bought one new vehicle and won't do it again. :wavey:

I bought a 49 year old vehicle once too. I paid more than it cost new...go figure...[confused]

Fellro

Staff member
Free along with the $500 a month payments, no thanks. I'll keep putting my older vehicles together and deal with no automatic services, but no monthly payments either! I's jus' a po' boy...:rofl: anyway, the simple fact is, I can't justify the payments, plain and simple, I don't have the income to support it. So I make do with what I have or can get.

Fellro

Staff member
I was more referring to having OnStar and such... those require newer car payments, or if you want free for the year, NEW car payments...

Also, had what seemed to be good tires go to crap on me too. The trailer has ditched what I thought were 3 good tires, had plenty of tread, no cracking, nothing, but all ended up with broken belts. I have one of that group left. Freaking General tires...:spank:
Were they actual trailer tires, or did you mount truck tires on it?
Sounds almost like it was doing a bit too much curb jumping, or pivoting. either way, if those manuevers are common, you're better off keeping straight-run trailer tires on it, 10 ply minimum. Keep away from traction tread on a trailer, as they torque harder in turns trying to do their JOB as traction tires. Also, I know this goes without saying, but keep em inflated to the proper pressure... that will bust belts sure as Carl hates being dragged into threads...

I do carry a cell phone, but only use it for text messages. I guess I could text my parents and have them call someone.
Most Cell providers have a TEXT-TO-SPEECH option. You send a text message to a landline phone, it sends a message back to you telling you it's a landline number, and would you like to send it as TTS for like 25 cents... just make sure you leave a complete message of where you are, what you need, and your handicap in receiving return calls. It SHOULD work, so long as you call the Tow company DIRECTLY, and not a switchboard.

I have listed what I normally carry and was ridiculed for it before.... just bear in mind, it's all of the above, sans On-Star, and more. Not so much in the new truck, but definitely in the dually and my Peterbilt. Many minor repairs can be accomplished roadside with all too often it costing less than the price of a service truck coming out. Insurance tow package is good, and I've used mine often enough, but they also have mileage limits that annoy the heck outta me!

Most Cell providers have a TEXT-TO-SPEECH option. You send a text message to a landline phone, it sends a message back to you telling you it's a landline number, and would you like to send it as TTS for like 25 cents... just make sure you leave a complete message of where you are, what you need, and your handicap in receiving return calls. It SHOULD work, so long as you call the Tow company DIRECTLY, and not a switchboard.

Never heard of such a thing. I will have to investigate. I know I can send text to an E-mail address.

Fellro

Staff member
Were they actual trailer tires, or did you mount truck tires on it?
Sounds almost like it was doing a bit too much curb jumping, or pivoting. either way, if those manuevers are common, you're better off keeping straight-run trailer tires on it, 10 ply minimum. Keep away from traction tread on a trailer, as they torque harder in turns trying to do their JOB as traction tires. Also, I know this goes without saying, but keep em inflated to the proper pressure... that will bust belts sure as Carl hates being dragged into threads...
Yes, they were LT tires, the trick here is that the trailer doesn't get run enough to justify new tires. They were straight tread tires, and the trailer doesn't see many curbs, mostly dirt and gravel when not run on the interstates and other paved roads. To make matters worse, it is triple axle... I doubt I have much over 10,000 on the trailer since I put it together. And just a response, yes, I run at max inflation on my tires, truck and trailer both.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I've got AAA, but I refuse to carry a cell phone. I can't afford a vehicle new enough to have Onstar, and I don't like Chevies, but putting that aside, I'd cut the damn thing out the first day I owned the car. Some corporation being able to locate my car any time they damn well please scares the crap outta me.

With GM's reliability, Onstar was a necessity!!!!!YelloThumbUp

Yes, they were LT tires, the trick here is that the trailer doesn't get run enough to justify new tires. They were straight tread tires, and the trailer doesn't see many curbs, mostly dirt and gravel when not run on the interstates and other paved roads. To make matters worse, it is triple axle... I doubt I have much over 10,000 on the trailer since I put it together. And just a response, yes, I run at max inflation on my tires, truck and trailer both.
The Tri-axle's killing em for sure... that's a lot of side-twist in turns; the tighter, the worse lol... On my spread-axle the guy at wingfoot hooked me up with some tires made to take it more; they have a rounded shoulder so they don't fight the turn so much. Or maybe it's the generals after all :headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts