Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Battery

Well I got it in and it fired right up. The nut that hold on the little plastic battery holder was seized on and I snapped the bolt off off, so I need a new bolt and if I can't get that in I may need to do a little Dremel work on the little battery holder.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Are you talking about the little plastic thing that goes over the top and you screw down to the base?

I dont use those at all, as lame as it may be i use bugee cords on both the ford and both on the dodge...the reason is because if i need to yank the battery fast say to emergency jump another rig that i cant get cables too. Also when you are going over uneven ground and the battery is moving around the cords let it move a bit whereas the plastic holders just break if jostled too much and then youve got a battery flying around your engine bay.

Long story short, my bungee cords dont look professional but they are there for a reason

Are you talking about the little plastic thing that goes over the top and you screw down to the base?

I dont use those at all, as lame as it may be i use bugee cords on both the ford and both on the dodge...the reason is because if i need to yank the battery fast say to emergency jump another rig that i cant get cables too. Also when you are going over uneven ground and the battery is moving around the cords let it move a bit whereas the plastic holders just break if jostled too much and then youve got a battery flying around your engine bay.

Long story short, my bungee cords dont look professional but they are there for a reason
No, the little little black plastic thing with three sections.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Cant visualize...

is this a part of the tray?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I think it's the same idea, though...some battery hold downs go over the top of the battery, while others just clamp onto the bottom lip of the battery.

In either case...I would not run with nothing holding the battery in place, but I doubt I'd pay Fords price for a replacement, either. Bungee, or just fab up something to hold the battery in place out of either wood or scrap steel.

I think it's the same idea, though...some battery hold downs go over the top of the battery, while others just clamp onto the bottom lip of the battery.

In either case...I would not run with nothing holding the battery in place, but I doubt I'd pay Fords price for a replacement, either. Bungee, or just fab up something to hold the battery in place out of either wood or scrap steel.

Or just buy a new bolt and maybe do a bit of Dremeling on the plastic, I'm in no because Don told me that's how he always runs his battery.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
youve got a battery flying around your engine bay.
Which is not good... buddy of mine bounced his out of the tray in his Dodge Dakota and it layed on the manifold the rest of the wheelin' trip and all the way home. Burnt a nice hole in the battery. It's been almost two months and he's still running it though.

Which is not good... buddy of mine bounced his out of the tray in his Dodge Dakota and it layed on the manifold the rest of the wheelin' trip and all the way home. Burnt a nice hole in the battery. It's been almost two months and he's still running it though.

Ill just bungee it.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
To answer your initial question. these trucks use 65 series batteries. Also, Deka's can be had for just over 100 bucks....AAA's batteries are just differently labelled Dekas....

EDIT: Forgot, you DON'T have to be a AAA member to purchase a battery from the service person and the warranty is the same, member or not. 6 years total, 3 year free replacement and 3 year pro-rated.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Now weve come full circle...

RED TOPS

To answer your initial question. these trucks use 65 series batteries. Also, Deka's can be had for just over 100 bucks....AAA's batteries are just differently labelled Dekas....

EDIT: Forgot, you DON'T have to be a AAA member to purchase a battery from the service person and the warranty is the same, member or not. 6 years total, 3 year free replacement and 3 year pro-rated.

I got an Energizer, which is a Johnson Controls 850CCA at Sam's Club for 75 it on;y has a three year warranty but it was made this month.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
im gonna run dual group 31s at between 925cca to 1060 cca not sure..gonna cost me 87 a piece

group 31s are out of a big rig

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Anthony, the group 31's seem to be an extremely popular swap....I've heard there's issues with doing that conversion on a Gen9, but haven't heard any confirmation on that.

Don, sorry....but if I run across somethin I'll send it to ya.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
While on the battery subject anybody got links or tech advice for dual battery setup?

Yes...either a couple of continous duty solenoids or buy a premade device such as a Pathmaker. Stay away from diode isolators. If you want a diagram, I can put one together.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Anthony, the group 31's seem to be an extremely popular swap....I've heard there's issues with doing that conversion on a Gen9, but haven't heard any confirmation on that.

Don, sorry....but if I run across somethin I'll send it to ya.

im doing it on a gen 8, the gen 9 i have also will have 4 in the pickup bed...ya i got something up my sleave for that old truck, im not sending her off to the pasture quite yet.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts