Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Battery

First of all what kind of battery do our rigs use. Second what battery do you guys recommend I've been told that the Motorcraft MAX batteries were really good but they are 120 for the 850 and the "Energizer" which I've read are Johnson Controls batteries at Sam's Club are about 80 for the 650.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
First of all what kind of battery do our rigs use. Second what battery do you guys recommend I've been told that the Motorcraft MAX batteries were really good but they are 120 for the 850 and the "Energizer" which I've read are Johnson Controls batteries at Sam's Club are about 80 for the 650.

i have a 850 cold cranking amp Battery. mine's a Duralast. only reason i have it is it came with the truck and was 2 months old when i got the truck...

I love Interstate Battery's....

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you have the money the Lifeline or Deka AGM's are the best choice period.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
1000 CCA Optima Red Top!

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I couldn't find much about the Deca but I have a lifeline distributor right by me, what make them so great?

Battery construction and type. Starved electrolyte AGM's. Great cranking current for starting and deep cycle for stereos, winches etc.
Group 31 for example has 810CCA at 0F and 1120CCA at 68F...as well as a great reserve capacity.
The group 31 is around $200-$250 but will last you much longer than any other unit.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Deka batteries are like 200+ dollars aint they? personally, i dont consider it worth it....

When you run your stereo, lights, winch etc and kill your standard starting battery in 2 years and this unit lasts you 7-10 years, it pays for itself. Not to mention the construction which is damn near impervious to vibration or internal shorts.

When you run your stereo, lights, winch etc and kill your standard starting battery in 2 years and this unit lasts you 7-10 years, it pays for itself. Not to mention the construction which is damn near impervious to vibration or internal shorts.

The Motorcraft has a 3 year replacement and a 100 month limited. I don't think I'm in the budget for one of those at the moment of have the need. It will be nice to get rid of the chubby battery though.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
but what bout someone that just drives a normal everyday drive?

theres no true need for a battery that expensive for a DD.

Put whatever in you like...people will drop hundreds or thousands on their vehicles for stereos, suspension, tires, engine goodies...but will not spring for a battery that will not let them down. Stereos that run while the engine is not running kill a starting battery...as do extra lighting and the like.
If a regular battery is $80 and you can shop around and get a Lifeline for $200..seems like a good tradeoff to me.
Basically an extra $120 for peace of mind.
Edit....that wasn't meant to sound dickish Chris!

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The Motorcraft has a 3 year replacement and a 100 month limited. I don't think I'm in the budget for one of those at the moment of have the need. It will be nice to get rid of the chubby battery though.

For the most the regular old batteries are fine as long as their limitations are known...I run the Motorcrafts in my own vehicles as well as the Lifelines.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Well the playing the radio while the vehicle off for to long without running the vehicle at least a lil bit is just dumb.
I just don't see why spend 100 extra when just being smart can get a battery to last

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well the playing the radio while the vehicle off for to long without running the vehicle at least a lil bit is just dumb.
I just don't see why spend 100 extra when just being smart can get a battery to last

It is a personal choice...and it is not a case of being smart...my point is...
the demands that are put on a cars electrical system esp. with aftermarket goodies, a battery like that will give the best results.

For me the main thing I want in a battery is ease/convenience to get a
replacement. Used to, it was Checker's Excide batteries but Excide went
junk on their vents! :/ Nothing quite like a new battery that'll spit acid
out of its vents. ;) So switched to Dura-Last from AutoZone and have
had good luck with mine and the Dura-Lasts for friends and relatives I've
helped.

YMMV?

I teach them to listen for a "weak starter sound" and let me know when
they hear that. Means the battery is getting weak from age or problems
or the charging system isn't right. ...a simple volt meter test will confirm
which one it is.

Had guys "test the battery" on their crappy high dollar equipment and tell
me the battery was "fine". Yeah right. :/ Proven it to two different guys
the best test is with the battery in the vehicle and just use a voltmeter.

Anymore, to keep from getting rejected on a return, I pour half the acid
out (it's good for the desert soil;) and replace it with water. LOL :)

They don't understand that a battery slowly gets weaker and weaker but
at the end of its life it swaps back and forth between mostly dead and
mostly good over the period of a few days or weeks.

Alvin in AZ

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
sorry i didnt text you back bout it...

the battery cables are the obvious... and then look at the base of the battery both front and rear. there will be i believe a 10 mm bolt that you have to loosen to get the hold down loose enough to pull the batter out..

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
I run dual optima red tops in my truck spent almost 300 for em but to me its worth the peace of mind

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts