Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle nut size?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Does anyone know the size socket required to remove the axle nut on the front of an '09 Ranger 4x4?

Need to pick one up to replace a wheel bearing.

Looks about 1 1/4", but I'm not sure if it's English or Metric.

Thanks!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Great- thanks Randy.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
My folks' 2003 Explorer had a metric nut, but I don't recall exact measurement. 30-something.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks, all!

It is a 32 mm nut, but they didn't have any 32 mm sockets. So I bought a 1 1/4" six-pointer, and have proven it'll work for the nut in question.

(It's pouring and getting dark, though...hope it'll hold together a few more days. I've got time to do it Friday, and the tools and parts in the truck to do it by the roadside if it doesn't.)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I went the opposite way, I needed a 1 5/16" socket but went with a 34mm because the parts store didn't have SAE. The socket fit just fine with no slop.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
New bearing assembly in.

I'm not actually sure the first one was bad...could well be all the noise was coming from my tires. (I know most of it was- they're ragged, worn-out, true snow tires.)

But, hell- now I've got two good front bearings, and a useable spare so I don't get stuck like this spring, with a bearing so shot I couldn't drive to town for parts. And with 85k miles on a stupid unit bearing, I think it was more a question of when than if.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts