Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Another one is coming to roost...

Fellro

Staff member
I didn't this time. Don't want to spend too much right now until it proves itself a bit. Being factory it will hold up for a bit, then I can upgrade as needed later. I did consider it though.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I have a complete 11" sitting on my desk, customer ordered it, then sold the truck.
shame your not closer.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
We need some pics of said beast...…We're still picture whores...….

Fellro

Staff member
Still up on the stands working the rear brakes. Cylinders were froze, then blew the steel line. Hopefully down to just putting the steel line in now unless something else comes up..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Watch bleeding, don't forget the rabs modal inside the frame rail by the fuel pump
( I think there was one on 88)
put some cable ease in your emergency brake cables over and around the rear, they are usually locked up.

Fellro

Staff member
Bled out quite easily, just left the bleeders lightly tight so the air could leak a little. Line was blown right behind the tank.
E-brake cables are a project for another day... driver side housing is broken, the housing on the axle side moves with the cable... Passenger side seems stuck. It does have RABS as well.

Pictures coming tomorrow probably. Took it for a quick run tonight, gets down the road pretty good. Don't think the calipers are working right so probably go ahead and get them done as well.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
I sympathize, when we got our '77, we ended up replacing everything in the brake system except the booster and metering valve. Now that I've said that, the booster will probably go out too :)

Oh yeah, x2 on the picsYelloThumbUp

Fellro

Staff member
m9FAgrWQuzu-X2mdStS2NuGFYOVug8WuoPqhnWQdmNv5NZPG930-KLJu6L9ck0P4s3ohZfVR9Mxo37v-JlzndY0stiZBSyNdnElbjlO6Jp3uT7XmzrAu-R7pIhR1XQ5LW7Vwya0fJzcyF5wTqKzyue3lfIKvEvXDntjIpXWojW2tGDgxuWS48qptirP_Vcvn1EiRSsZwIW-2R8F25qtHieSxl_TD8fXBy_vuzDj9tS6F3kS9DHvi60y81y5KQwGDN9_tApp4TxlmLw6sYpdY52hA-aIPyPoP2OjKbtG54I-It-breXFK5hO9XdfZpyG294f5j8V94sAtFZPcfmoMAt3TM6FKjAdmB8KIMy9vZjDNRhK117sl2buEyoHpaNatk1FYaUSpIlMBE7G5DV_1xZLvriDy4Au82ng0syTcCEGPJ_7PbNzqtlaBAERhu4xbsQcxyqpCNV0tmgTaFA-6fXw7XT2A4Ram4L4awKRSK11qxi4cQm_Tgq28QN6I0Fkx3fA_WGqk5Mqi8xYcAR-1E219w_e3F14Y6grlKP6NNXJ5wJ9AHxlZKJZ_a90HQgGsnBa7CoyX9TkCgrQSpIl6NtqW00geBp-ZOPr5ax_6JYCoKL0S_Ueb6yBeNt6REsH2iMustvS3SKqQ4SbehCpKKmyunJ1On5I=w1252-h940-no

zo1x65Ie4eOvX51C-zD_F-IQwg_dyfeHcoxrSxGw5TTBMgwcnTKqqgnxLaONg6s6nvc9NyefGMcC-9-ckRZVhqLty_PFYno7J1XBoJhxfQWbRBaD-mK6JuthGI0hJuRcjcevPbGV2YEquGJ5c1l9fHBaWdIUr2fxorMD8fY0wJcjLRL8oC1sL8ckv1TU2pPYccfwtwNAmxC9UKAnncXus2lzVsZ8TVLpu_w6OIe2qgtoERy46lw_BjlMmE8DPeh8aEYWfAarrSIzvdX9NfzyBiXSpGPIyMkhdGdO5Wwvbthh7rm6UScJfSVOt9i-QWE3EzxhRn8kDr8YxfagMjYDozemSKajJtsNooEOrdTb2Ie6SWAg1rMhJzR1oNXgHMX1PZysdGt8mqdu_2l7-eGoIL6B1nloEtKhLBvaISoaAEECOFJ9wou8yEOyqVGLLxqqzU1liF20EZVY3fkWf7m2ViyYvuK-MiYbLIez6mJGoPYjjBVNGrP29INy7QAcuhLmt-fX50AKdxHyXeLyd_A5s8mEfFjyv2XuJRcTq3YbZ67jCfGqA7XDCFS85Sc3oJNVitiViODvUW4PwhQCSubUKpj5JbqWkNruDnpcXFBMW6QA1dEnUJmdp_DKEqIiJPvXQTrXm75JkHDdoqEz8-DlonkjWTHRiAU=w1252-h940-no

GPJva8NMCS0Dbhyhup7A1FncdqhDM4vLmqUdZBiJr1Hx1yzg_yw8HGhzLpBgCb6rVz0nCVZpImQcKebUnx95mEsKyjpI_-cVld8WstHyzEm4Wkrp4-mnEGaI8zXO-3uLg4ZukaJMA-AYWTOi6s1l7P36em_w_KERiS50tGUs-Y6LXxcT0J_MOV9AKXMlPQs826IHOHGosYtrrJI8emPme6VlMPANSpybQ6tvl9vIMXZS7sDrduFolSovYElPn6ZXSfC87l-LvAF-kzQ_FPBm-esFtla56OhI42xDA7-grsFrv9KY3uvGtEKqszy9dmmU0-HtOyA2B7f5ZJJtfqHv6GceAu99bJ1c8lk26J4azGDO4hSASoF7QdcwCDBBpRsoByFRf7rut-EzVZc4E2glzIT3o66MywWKUFaxpO2XyoYQnwxTFVZ9mdW719EpIYHnqzHV17R95D6XNP2VgN7PavMupqoZPEQn3bKNaPVI_9bn3hnM50v7dxdBT-vDKNVKCTdeCgMRnlE9tuIg0UgXIFeBj44m5eNTu5gikNM7aIXLZkyQNwnR1V75EmCc35j5cCYbuDq1QUwC0VqlaNXh952QkNvxNI6ChkYx-InqXPDtFJ6ODlOYkMDfbbmDj28Bt-PodVU1b8YR4elMcOX-s8hQHTIlv9o=w1252-h940-no

VADE6qYS-XO3ScolHbF9ZXMcebDf4-or9vppJA6FxJ1Gkzy72n_9xKMiZgd-wyBReboNO-RhuCaom5Cs5z6SGdGTJ2ivq6CrquzZjz0YVzVEEBtfT4M5ZxBvjBgqadDXEVgbTSpnAyW9lwBPukOr_UHiIrKm-5kqYh-zpxs0FvMrJP80IFABVvVwOwXQKUnu58HD5WR6sC_wmgB0liXp2Mc8TI7BnnlRZn6YGgjhXFYit9sDMsRkAyoDDTDchcRjWA7WSSmbS42zcYOpRMh2dGyM6WqL7MHv4g_Ehwgi5OR4EMEjTNRtpL4Wp3ncX8XTIg0kILZs_dzTxFAVB71B-H9S7kwU-zQ8INzjF4hRGDm3iU5o9r9sVtZhkVRmnpzju3C4rG079PjJZd97DL9rxewstqyhUk07A5-wFTVmswP7jl-UwBMpc-K67KWK0XafbmNfKiGPWGL-UjQLjF2BFKTKJ_QwPnXxFVOW7Hduiyv52TBJgKP3iIx5aSZc6udbLfTK-K0FYg6qiy7W4MH4bvJ9cj9f1t6T4iNyTF5dS3-pE-ittLDlupn3yROZSAxEd3YFNJh7GxCENCO8n7-pi1i70b3P4aS2u-2_hPg8Mv8oSUI3cLlBskRVgnRXhkjARdgBpAD6y3zTafvuqrAdIzZWzP1sHYU=w1252-h940-no

H0w-X8KQcDBZkm2fhpyvKN2DilX5RKYClENk1FzaMJunKYqeawpTXHoXvsI50SEbbo_kGwhpOxk4q7SX3kYOQYKA2s81JtGatCUzEU_byVWR96ZZJfNITfHS_FQIR49YUqrou-0FDYK423-LwAIq0Js0xk2svjgbfK046ER_KriDu4HsPk01_c8p1n-jsI19RpS7JAfKEud5gEqqhDxt3Et5SksRFSVVFb4-GQ4RjNFc7VKZ8yEyf7PgxVxRzACvPgLnNzm-gHr9xdteQD4qjpj-fNTSxOK80N4S2atWw3O5I_BhASaROIBwC9oVZl05G_DPAmp3zdkBrz5Hzqn4xr_pa-c-GQ3SWu7U_v-bjX90f7eyi0pTqi53pH8Zas0Mrq755s1PsbfniGiRjniH2Fqng17RZ2YS6E_IWGD3jozsD5XjidQQQ1bevE4WKZF9NmcZrMRrvCRSU_E1EYDjgn59q_FcwVNhlvDWfxbK9lD_c_lusxEAvbX9FUpMyfKBVcyvxVLku99xxrY6VlPZ7cRAgT9JpfUiivnF1e8h8rqAnkVKw3tWEfulu3f2IY1t0MqXUlGrhINRkaQxNBrZ0vguYCFfXUFESXL2LjNTdQoh0UPyo27fSj3KjLXR2qZp94E1gV-RmyvQe2TkoQMtr7KOA3vNMv4=w1252-h940-no

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Nice!
I don't believe I have ever seen that clutch option. LOL

Fellro

Staff member
The driver side caliper was pretty good yet, but the passenger side is seeming to stick. Kinda looks like might have been an issue before. Inside pad was gone, outside had lots left. Opposite of that on the driver side. Happened to have a set of pads on hand so threw them in. I do a bit of spinning out when going from a stop... then the brakes back up a little and it is fine. My little drive the other night warmed up the hubs a bit, passenger side more than driver.

Not too bad for sitting out in the weather for the last 10 years.. The red truck in the background has major rust issues, while this one barely has any. Of course, the 4wd is run in the winter. This one wouldn't be much fun that way. I don't plan to run it in the crud either.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Brake problem is probably a rubber line collapsing inside, and acting like a check valve, keeping the caliper from releasing all the way.

I think cleaned up, the gray truck should last you a long time.

Fellro

Staff member
I think this is likely more an actual piston sticking, had a hard time getting the piston to finish going in far enough to get the new pads in. If I put a prybar on the lugs to turn the rotor, it will let go, or if I pry the caliper back it releases. Didn't help that the calipers were rusted in place. Greased everything up. Driver side pushed in like it should but still wanted to hold the rotor after releasing brake pressure.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Make sure when you replace to use new, there is a run on bad rebuilds on other forums.
I had a bad set on my 90, ended up being front calipers AND the booster.
Really sucks the ones on it I had to replace had less than 5,000 miles on them, but were over 5 years old, so no warranty

Fellro

Staff member
Went ahead and did both calipers and hoses. No more dragging... Heater core decided to leak as well. That has been a different cahllenge. The work itself wasn't a big deal, other than Ford made it harder than it needed to be. My 86 is a breeze to change, these have to slide behind the dash frame, and then have a peg sticking out to bend the fins...

However the actual issue was the darn core itself. I appear to have a hybrid core that isn't readily available. The pipes are like a standard output heater core, the body is like a high output. Inititally didn't realize that there was a difference between non-air and air conditioned units as the air box seemed the same. I had taken one out of a parts truck I had that was a/c. Originally I thought that was the issue, so I took it from a non- air truck, and still no go. So went looking for new, and found one that had the right shape, was about to pull the tirgger, but the pipes just looked wrong, so went and double checked. Sure enough the pipes were just like the air trucks, but the body wasn't. So I just said screw it, took and hammer formed the tank (aluminum) to fit the curve, trimmed the air box enough to get the core to pass and keep the screw boss, and got the damn thing to work. Heats fine, no leaks.

Beyond that, the tank may have to get done, I expect it rusted up. Plugged up the new filter already, so found 6 on ebay for $20 so I can try to get it to flush through the filter, but probably should just replace the tank. I have one I can use, just a matter of taking time to do it, and the damn vent hose never seems to work right again. Truck also needs aligned as the steering wheel is hard cranked to the right and pulls pretty good to the left. It is a salvage repair, so hopefully no frame issues. At this point just want to put a few miles on it, test it before getting to much more invested in it. It seems everything will be fine though. Quietest truck I ever owned...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The tanks I did on the Eddie Bauer came from Rockauto. tank, pump, straps, shipping, Less than a pump from local parts house. $213 per tank

Fellro

Staff member
I have a good tank on hand.

So the temp gauge is non-functional now. Worked at first, but now is definitely dead. Where the heck is it hiding? I only find the one at the thermostat for the computer. 4.9 six

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I'll look later today when I get back home. I remember it being in the head.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fellro

Staff member
That is where I would expect it. Hopefully not behind the intake.... I can't spot it on the clear side.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yup. That's it.
I'll confirm with a picture when I get home

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles