Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Alternator replacement for '89 F250 460 engine

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
[emoji6][emoji16]
77eedcbd799e15ec836c9c38c6523c0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I came for the conversion.

I'm staying for the pics.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
6ca55cbdbf1e74add7561167ca7b7b5d.jpg
d2dcc0b71ef253c723eef984a58c7fb8.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Did this upgrade today. Everything went okay. I thought I would mount the breaker horizontal to avoid hitting the jack, then realized the hood hinge would hit the breaker. :headbang: Started the truck and the alternator is charging the battery at 14.3 - 14.5 volts. Thanks to Charlie(dustybumpers) for all the help and supplies. This would not have been possible without you!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Pictures!!!!
We need pictures!!!!

Glad to help, even more pleased to know your truck isn't a rolling fire Hazzard now. The 2g alternators are prone to burning up nice trucks like yours

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Okay, not the best, but here they are.

alt_new.jpg

alt_pic_1.jpg

alt_pic_2.jpg

alt_pic_3.jpg

alt_pic_4.jpg

alt_pic_5.jpg

I can see why there was a potential fire hazard, based on the wiring configuration, 2 12ga and 1 14ga wire combined into a 14 Ga. The end wire also looks pretty corroded also. When it's all said and done, I ended up with a 95 amp alternator protected by a 150 amp fuse. Once again, credit goes to Charlie.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Beautiful job!
I guess you can take the tape instructions off now so dunkin don't make fun of us.......

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Also, the reason for the 150 amp fuse is to be able to handle spikes. You hit compressor kicking in same time as you pull the headlights on and turn the heat motor to high all at once, she needs to have more than a 95 amp fuse. My one plow truck has a 275 amp fuse on it

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Beautiful job!
I guess you can take the tape instructions off now so dunkin don't make fun of us.......

:rofl2: I thought of that when I took pictures this morning.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Also, the reason for the 150 amp fuse is to be able to handle spikes. You hit compressor kicking in same time as you pull the headlights on and turn the heat motor to high all at once, she needs to have more than a 95 amp fuse. My one plow truck has a 275 amp fuse on it

Makes sense. I'm reading a margin of error at least 30 amps.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You will really notice it on a rainy chilly day with the defrosters, wipers, headlights on. 2 of my trucks have electric fan conversion. That really makes the needle sweep......
Your next project will be that dinosaur starter. That's a rewire too, but everything over the counter. The high torque starters spin that big block over so quick it don't even know it's running.
Not even a full turn of the flywheel!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes, it will. I put a Mean Green starter on the '78 several years ago, which is just a rebadged toyota starter that is clockable. It made quite a difference.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
This will be a ford starter for the 460.
Let me know when you ready, ill hook you up a parts list, and directions. Even pictures

Ford Truck Articles