Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ABS light

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Is on in my '09 Ranger. I know the truck needs front brakes; is the light just a warning that they're nearly shot?

Or is there some separate cause I should figure out before I tear it down to replace the brakes?

Thanks!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Possibility that the fluid level is low from the worn brakes. Fluid level sensor will trip the ABS light.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I haven't popped the hood since it came on. Pedal feel suggests the fluid level could be getting low, though.

Thanks Vince!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ummm...or it's more serious.

Anyone got a cutaway of the hub assembly? I'm not sure I dare drive this thing back into town to fetch parts.

EDIT: Yep- it ate a wheel bearing. Not happy. At all.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK...so this truck has sealed bearings integrated with the hub.

Doesn't look like too bad a job to change 'em, but I haven't got alternate transportation into town, and don't want to call in enough favors to get there and back if I don't have to.

How much vertical play would be acceptable before I red-tag it, and call a tow-truck? I have AAA, so it'd be free- just a pain in the behind.

EDIT: She's red-tagged. I know better.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

Camera work is a little shaky to see it too well, but if you've got speakers you can hear it knocking.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's an unhappy bearing

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep- fortunately, it wasn't quite THAT unhappy until the last mile or so coming home.

EDIT: this truck sees a lot of dirt roads, and potholed paved roads...and I don't drive slow on 'em. I'm still decidedly unimpressed with this bearing going out at only 75k miles, especially since a little research indicates that it's a pretty common failure point on these trucks.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah... I almost feel like I should carry a spare for the other side in the back seat.

I had maybe 200 miles of warning on this- most of which I ignored because I figured it was the (well-worn) brakes I've been putting off replacing until it gets warm out. Given the distances I travel fairly regularly, that's not a whole lot of warning.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The snow itself doesn't bother me that much, but it means I haven't got the bike for alternate transportation.

I don't like being elbows deep in the only vehicle I have, and finding out I need more parts/tools.

racsan

4xford
my abs light came on monday...after the brake line on the rear axle failed. (last original brake line) just got it fixed yesterday. it does bite about the hub-unit bearings, one more reason to like/keep my old ttb...serviceable bearings! had to put on new wheel cylinders too, old line nuts and bleeder screws wouldnt budge.

Ford Truck Articles