Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A project on the side

Bought a 70' F250 out of ND a couple months ago. I've started to do a bit of a mechanical restoration on the truck. I want to turn it into a mechanically sound work/hunting truck. It's quite solid, as the pictures will show, other than some floor board rot.

All four corners will be completely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled with fresh grease and seals. All four corners get new brake hardware and wheel cylinders. front drums measured out good, so shoes and drums will stay. Rears get new Bendix drums and new shoes.

Not a high dollar project or anything, just something to tinker on during my free time.

Enjoy. I'll try to post pictures as I go along.

Derek.

PS+ P/O put a 72' grille on the truck... Original is in the bed.. :) What's your preference?

IMG_1668_zps3712fd9f.jpg
IMG_0113_zps04ca5763.jpg

IMG_0140_zps69a236aa.jpg

IMG_0152_zps590eba9e.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Very cool Derek!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Like the grill...and that looks like a solid truck.

Thanks dudes. I was surprised at how little rust this truck had, being a farm truck and all.

Good call Roy, those little guys are handy all over the place!

Making a rock auto and Dennis Carpenter order tonight I hope.

Derek.

Clear coat the patina? I've never really thought about it, maybe something worth looking into. I do like the weathered look that this truck has, but definitely wouldn't want it to get worse!

I like your thinking Justin, I might swap back to the 70 grille. I think it would suit the truck well... As it should, lol.

Not much progress lately. I cut out the rest of the rot, wire-wheeled, and cleaned everything out, then sprayed the cab mount and corner with some Tremclad rust paint I had kicking around... Figured it was better than nothing... I will begin replacing metal soon.. I also made my orders @ Rock Auto and Dennis Carpenter... Should have parts soon!

Does anyone know what the primary thickness is for metal on these trucks?

IMG_0171_zps705ae181.jpg

IMG_0180_zpsfc6f17b5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Derek,

I don't seem to be able to edit my previous posts. I changed some pictures locations on PB, and I'd like to fix the picture links. Any help?

Here is some progress that I've made over the weekend. A bunch of parts came in as well! Still waiting on three hub seals and front wheel cylinders..

Not restoration quality or anything, and my flux core welder is not the greatest, but for an old farm truck, I think the repair is quite sturdy, and much better than what a lot of people would try to get away with! Really, the floor pans should be replaced completely, but I've gotta stop somewhere.

I used 18 ga. steel for my repairs. I am thinking about hitting the floor pans and bottom side of repair with POR-15, then having the pans professionally bed-lined, if the price is right.

I need to finish welding and grinding the driver side (ran out of wire), then onto the pass. side, which appears to be in worse shape.

IMG_0187_zpsa9182ce1.jpg

IMG_0191_zps031fd2c4.jpg

IMG_0198_zps18b5034e.jpg

IMG_0206_zps7784cfef.jpg

IMG_0200_zps35d5d6b0.jpg

IMG_0214_zpsa6359ef2.jpg
IMG_0218_zps9ca54885.jpg

IMG_0220_zps6ba4ac72.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Derek.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
pm me the links Derek and I will fix it...nice progress.

primetime

sawmill slave
I think you are doing just fine. You have to exercise restraint somewhere. Otherwise you end up with a full blown project that might never get done while you own it. I really like where you are going with this.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd end up taking the whole thing apart... but I'm crazy like that! :D

Suggestions

- satin clear coat over the patina to preserve the look and keep it from rusting much more.

- x1000 on the 70 grille. By far my favorite for the bump.

I don't seem to be able to edit my previous posts. I changed some pictures locations on PB, and I'd like to fix the picture links. Any help?

Here is some progress that I've made over the weekend. A bunch of parts came in as well! Still waiting on three hub seals and front wheel cylinders..

Not restoration quality or anything, and my flux core welder is not the greatest, but for an old farm truck, I think the repair is quite sturdy, and much better than what a lot of people would try to get away with! Really, the floor pans should be replaced completely, but I've gotta stop somewhere.

I used 18 ga. steel for my repairs. I am thinking about hitting the floor pans and bottom side of repair with POR-15, then having the pans professionally bed-lined, if the price is right.

I need to finish welding and grinding the driver side (ran out of wire), then onto the pass. side, which appears to be in worse shape.

IMG_0187_zpsa9182ce1.jpg

IMG_0191_zps031fd2c4.jpg

IMG_0198_zps18b5034e.jpg

IMG_0206_zps7784cfef.jpg

IMG_0200_zps35d5d6b0.jpg

IMG_0214_zpsa6359ef2.jpg
IMG_0218_zps9ca54885.jpg

IMG_0220_zps6ba4ac72.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Derek.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I couldnt help it,But those peices laid out like that,reminds me of when
I watch those biblical documentries.
They look like peices of the bible,where archeoligist are trying to
fit the puzzle together...:)

Haha that's great, CB!

Dunc, I'll get those links to you ASAP.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, they really keep me going! :wavey:

Little progress lately, haven't had much time to work on it, but here ya' go!

Drivers side metal work is done. I want to seam seal the floor pan and kick panel like it was previously. Next step will be to clean and POR-15 top and bottom of my repair.

IMG_0236_zps5553148e.jpg

Repair as seen from inside the cab mount.
IMG_0233_zps2d486736.jpg

The other side....
IMG_0235_zps0214c70c.jpg

IMG_0253_zps8a92864b.jpg

Also removed, cleaned in solvent, and lubed the parking brake lever assembly. It did not return properly, but nowww it does. :)

IMG_0255_zps6be06030.jpg

Enjoy, comments welcome!

Derek.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts