Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

96 Ignition, No shutting off,key just spins

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Hey it looks like my key tumbler assemble just grenaded it self.

I got in it and everything turned over fine. Got to the hosue and the key just spun back to its off possition. But all accesorys where still on and engine was still running.

There was no resistance at all in the turning.

So i shut it off by pulling the coil wire, the the normal lights that stay on before you throw the starter where still on, the radio was still on. So i put the coil wire back on. And it starts. So apparently the push rod that throws the starter still works (i can feel resistance there, jus tlike if everything where working correctly) So i gott it parked and i pulled all the wires going to the coil off and the coil wire going to the dizzy. shut off my radio.

So does the tumbler remove from the electrical side of it. Or what?

i dont really wanna have two seperate keys for my truck

Or should i just pull it apart. extend the wires for the accesorry side/coil etc. (not starter, since it sitll works) and run them over to switches for now?

Anybody got a diagram, skank?

Anthony

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Looks like its the ignition module. Even when i pull the switch by hand it wont shut anything off.

Anthony

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
looks like the rod is broke in the columnm,can you pull the column apart, or do i just replace the whole column

1) looks like the rod is broke in the columnm,
2) can you pull the column apart,
3) or do i just replace the whole column

I haven't fixed one of those but I've removed a couple! ;)
...and thought it looked like cheap junk.

1) Those things looked like a piece of crap and wondered if they break. :)
2) I can, and figure you can too. LOL ;) Tear into the sucker like you
mean it because the dangged thang is already broken, you can't hurt it. ;)
3) Heck you don't need a new column, just a new "sucker-rod". :)
(that's windmill talk ;)

But...
Maybe your switch is sticky and caused the sucker-rod to break?

Look into the cost of them and how easy sucker-rods are to get and then
decide if it's worth it for me to mail you a free one. :) Might get it quicker
locally, see? :)

I'm not going to re-use the one out of my '90 parts truck or '91 Bronco.
I've already re-pinned an ignition cylinder from the '74 C700 and going to
mount it in the dash of the '91 Bronco. Weird but true. LOL :)

----------------------

Hmmm...
Just realized a guy could make one from "music wire" from the hardware
store quick and cheap and better than new all at once. Are you game for
that?

"music wire" = 1080 carbon steel wire that's been hard drawn like spring
wire is but not been coiled up etc, it's been left straight.

"piano wire" = typically 52100 vacuum electric furnace remelted steel that's
been quenched and tempered. You'll know the difference when you go to
buy "piano wire". ;)

Sometimes guys interchange the terms. :/

Alvin is weird as anything in AZ
{edit} Dug one of the sucker rods out and figure that prob'ly didn't break,
it's prob'ly the sorry looking zinc part that controls it. :/
You got tilt? :/
What year?

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
YEa i go tilt.

My "sucker rod" is made out of that teflon plastic ****. The same material as those windshield wedges.

I do know they break, atleast in the newere model trucks. I have a buddy with a B2 and i remember him bitching about replacing it. I just dont remeber how he got it out.

I got the wheel apart and removed, hit my self in the face with it to...LOL

The switch feels exactly like the new one, a little less resistance (repeat use i guess)

I cant actually get the "sucker-rod" out right now. I got half of it to move up towards the steering whee at the open end there but i cant get anything on it to pull it any farther.

There is an air bag in my truck, it didnt hit me in the face though. I was working on another car , and i got hit with an air bag.

But i was on my way to the parts house to see what i could find, and thanks to the snow we got, mydrive way is a mud bog. And i buried my dads truck up to the door handles in the front yard, and then almost sunk my nieghbors tractor, Im waiting on the jeep right now.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i went to go get the part today in tulsa (12.00 dollars) and i have 3 yours to get there.

Thanks so that snow we had and it froze the ground down so deep. Its finally thawed and the last bit of road was 2 feet of clay. Unfroutanetly our 4wd drive PAtriot (big woop right, did awesome in the snow) got high center. and we spent 5 hours digging it out....of our driveway.
Got stuck at 11 it was out around 3:00. I guess im getting the part sometime this week.

Anthony

you can key an ignition to your existing key.. the problem lies with they key its self.. how warn is it?

Just remember, you cant go by the tumblers in the door lock, well not all of them anyways, door lock uses some differnt tumblers than the ignition..

8 cuts on the key, 6 tumblers in the ignition and 6 tumblers in the door lock, so they use two tumblers in common (first two last two)

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
The keey is only like 2years old I snapped the old one off in the door one time

If you can bring the ignition and a door lock to a local locksmith, he/she should be able to key it all up for you

Ford Truck Articles