Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

93 E150 conversion van, gauges not working

Hi all,
New to the Forum's Here,Thx for any help in advance!!!

Oil, Amps, Temp and Fule gauges not working!!!

I Have check the fuses under the dash, and all seem good...

any ideas whats wrong or where to go from here ? . . smiliepopcorn

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hi all,
New to the Forum's Here,Thx for any help in advance!!!

Oil, Amps, Temp and Fule gauges not working!!!

I Have check the fuses under the dash, and all seem good...

any ideas whats wrong or where to go from here ? . . smiliepopcorn
If you're sure the fuses are ok, you might go to the grounds in the left kick panel. I believe the instrument cluster grounds there.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

Is it just the needles that aren't operating or do the cluster lights also not turn on when you throw the headlight switch?

blacksnapon

Staff member
You have 2 grounds for the instrument panel....G101 (left side of engine compartment, next to battery), and G201 (behind the instrument cluster, attached to the instrument panel)

Before I get started, .. driver side is Left or Right ?

my battery is on the Driver Side

93 E150 Club Wagon Conversion Van, has two Batterys but the extra one on the passenger side is disconnected..

thank you all for the Info..

Ok here we go, I just got this van... the Batter was not Charging so I took it to Advance Auto Parts they came out and put there tester on it to check out my Battery and Alternator. test said Battery was good but they wes nothing comming for the Alternator, they said that was weard Because even a bad Alternator put off something..
now I had three large wires someone had taped off, just hanging there under my hood..
I tested all with my mulitmeter
[wire 1 was putting of 28 volts]
[wire 2 was putting off the same volts as my battery = if battery was 10.34, wire 2 was 10.34 & so on]
[wire 3 was going back to the battery on the passenger side]
with wire 1 putting off 28v i did not want to hook it to my battery, so i did a test of hooking wire 1 & wire 2 togather, got my test meter ready and cranked the van... meter read 14.89v so I let the motor run after 10 min's reading was the same. so I drive the van back to advance, they ran test again, this time all good but Drain test was 20.73A SUSPECT..

i just went to start the van after running for 5/6 min's the oil Gauge moved all the way from about the middle to the right, so I shut down and unhooked Neg on battery because of that 20amp drain... i let the van set for a hour then went out hooked the battery back up turn on dash lights to see where oil gauge was = it had went down some, so befor starting motor I just turned the key on and watch the oil gauge, with moton not running key on the gauge started to go down, when I started the motor the gauge stoped and this time just stayed there.

just found out there is no way to edit a post here... also when I was doing this last test the interrior lights would never go off.. I checked all doors, turned headlights off & on, dimmed the dash lights, turned the headlight switch till it clicked to toggel the interrior lights off and on, and the lights satyed on thru all this....

cluster lights Work... I will check the 2 grounds = 1 next to battery &
1 behind the instrument cluster..

interior lights was staying on because i was disconnection the battery to stop the Drain problem.
they work as normal after about 15 Min's..

also found you forum Info - I could edit my Post up to an Hour..

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles