Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'88 tailgate for my '86

i found an '88 tailgate for real cheap and i was wondering if it is much different than the '86 tailgate. i know it will fit but do they look much different? thanks.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
it will fit with no problem. the middle has the ford letter stamped in it and its more flat without the body lines in it like the 86 does but it will look good.

Fellro

Staff member
It just won't latch unless you get the round pin latches...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
oh really? i wasn't aware of that. hmm next time i hit the junkyard ill take a look at that. you learn something new everyday i guess

Fellro

Staff member
Yep, 86 uses the U-shaped latch pin, about 5/16 diameter, the 87 and newer use a latch pin similar to a door pin.

fellro,

oh sweet, thanks for letting me know man. I figured like frankenford that it would fit but just look different. based on both your responses guys, im just gonna wait til an '86 tailgate comes around. i hate that stupid net tailgate i have on it now.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The 88 is rounded at top . The 86 is squared . If function is your goal buy it. But will not lineup wards top above tail lights.

Fellro

Staff member
They will line up, I have seen a 87 up gate on an 86 earlier box, but they swapped the pins. It looked ok, just have to get the pins. For the most part, any gate from 80 up to 86 will work, but I think it was up to 82 that used the old metal straps instead of the cheap cables. I have been replacing the cables with chain lately, got tired of replacing those dang cables...

i hate that stupid net tailgate i have on it now.
do what i did - for about 6 months i used a 2x4. best $1.80 i ever spent. i found so many uses for it once i got the tailgate back on i still keep the 2x4 in there. in a year or two when it's rotten i guess i'll buck up for a new one.

i cut it about 1" wider than the lip where the tailgate closes. i was nervous it would fly out at first. never had an issue, bumpy roads, highway, etc.

i found a pic - perhaps you can use some of my design ideas :)
IMG_0418.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
I've done that as well, does generally work, just little stuff can slide by, but then, it can on a gate as well.

thanks for the replys. tom, thats a great idea. i just might use that one. i need to be able to keep firewood and mulch/top soil in the bed so i think my net plus your 2x4 will work for the wood but i'll have to wait til i get a gate to put the mulch or top soil in there. i also want it to look originial so i guess my needs are half functionality and half looks. i'll keep you posted. it shouldnt be too hard to find a black tailgate. i hope.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts