Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

86 motor questions

Ok, so I'm ready to get railed for this question. I have a very decent 86 F-250 4x4 w/ 351w and BW T-18. the motor is wore out and I'm thinking about a swap. I know the 351 can make decent power but I'm considering a 400. It will take a bell change and a few other things but a 400 can make brutal torque. Just curious on opinions

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm a 400 lover. No engine that came in the trucks, until the lightning came around were barn burners, especially once the emissions standards kicked in, even the 'big bad 460' was as anemic as 195hp some years. That being said, the 400 is as cheap to build to 350hp/450tq as the rest. My go to combo is a comp DEH265 cam kit, aussie heads, Holley or quickfuel 600-650cfm electric choke/vac secondaries, Edelbrock/weiand intake, Sanderson headers and roll with it. If you have the cash, splurge on a set of flat tops (as long as you don't mill the heads, you'll fight an eternal battle of detonation). Beyond that, you can get a lot fancier with heads, bottom end combos, intakes, valvetrain, etc...but you'll have to have a much thicker wallet than I do.

Fellro

Staff member
You can get additional cubes out of the little W as well. Main thing about swapping from a W to the 400 is that many things change. The motor mount towers for certain, and likely radiator. the good news for you is that there were a couple years that the 400 was installed from the factory. The hard part is finding what you need to do the swap, as they were only done for 2 years. Otherwise, fabrication.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
400: Misc. 1971/79 Ford/Merc Passenger Cars / 1977/79 F100/350 / Some 1978 & all 1979 Lincoln/Continental Mark V / 1978/82 Bronco / 1980/82 F150/350.

Fellro

Staff member
Let me rephrase... only offered for 2 years in this chassis. The frames changed at 80, so I didn't think about mentioning older. Intended to say only offered for 2 years in this chassis... ;)

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Honestly way more work than its worth. 351 can pit down so pretty good numbers. And u dint have to cut/weld on your frame

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts