Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

73-79 custom dash

I am going to put aftermarket gauges in a 1977 f150 that im restoring. I was wondering if anybody had any picture of custom dashes from that body style so that i could get some ideas

blacksnapon

Staff member
I would have to say do research on the net. You can look at several truck sites for ideas. Thats the joy of customizing. Doing it yourself with your own ideas is a joy in itself.smiliegitrdone

Dad had a 77 when I was younger. The dash was pretty plain. No gauges, just idiot lights. I remember a speedometer is all (been a long time). I agree that they need something, but I am not aware of any dash kits like there are for the older trucks.

I would assume the second picture that Andy posted is some sort of race truck (not street). It shows a link lock switch and no way to see the speedometer.

I am not fond of cutting up a dash unless you really know what you are doing. I have seen some guys use fiberglass to do some awesome things though.

My truck is mostly stock and even though there are kits available, I chose not to do that. I just (well...my dad) made mounts that go under the lip of the dash to mount my gauges.

DSCF0625.jpg

Yes...Ryan...I had to post the pic again. smilietease

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
go to blueovaltruckparts.com, they have dash inlay bezels that should fit your truck that have the holes already in it for the gauges.

how much are you fabricating? Are you building the entire dash, or customizing the basic ford dash?

Ryan

customizing the original but I don't want the old plastic around the gauges. has to be clean looking Im thinking about removing all the lines on the dash and having a smooth look

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
New bezels have nicer chrome on them than the older ones and they would look pretty sharp with that chrome insert for gauges and you would be removing those center dividers. The only thing I can see that may be bothersome (except the price) would be the viewing angle. I have heard from others who have bought the insert and said the viewing angle isn't bad, so it's all up to the individual's preference.

I dont like the angle of the gauges in that one you can buy all though it would be really simple to make. i think i know how to do it im gunna take a 1" thick piece of alum and bore the holes for the gauges at an angle then flip it over and cut away all the unnessary material. then make the piece fit in the same as the plastic piece. the only problem is finding the 150.00 bucks for the material to do. and making sure that i dont screw it up. thatd be an expensive mistake.

rxlmod, if you go with the aluminum plate try to find a place that does water jet cutting. You supply the pattern and it makes a beautiful cut.

I have one of the dashes pictured above:

SteeringWheelclose-up.jpg

The longest part was sitting with a dremel and gutting the gauge pod. As others have stated getting the angle right is the most important.

Please keep us posted with pics to see your progress. Here are a couple others to give some ideas;

Digitalgaugecluster.jpg

Customgauagecluster.jpg

Custom79dashpod.jpg

BlueOvalGaugePod.jpg

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
here is something that I am working on, I haven't messed with it in a bit but I will get back to it soon, I've just had other thing's going on lately
Picture056.jpg

I am moving the heater controls and adding a CB
Picture061.jpg

it is still a work in progress...Rick

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Some nice dashes there. I would really like to have that digital one. There really is not other place to have gauges that look nice other than the stock location IMO. Mounting gauges on the bottom of the dash which is a popular place is OK, but not optimal for viewing.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Custom79dashpod.jpg

BlueOvalGaugePod.jpg

I really like these two but the digital is badazz
I am rethinking mine now

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Much of it depends on if you want to keep the stock dash bezel trim or not. Put your's together Rick and see what it looks like. I think it should look pretty good.

camperspecial

truckjunkie
I hate the dash in my 73 so I'm going to cut it out and put a dash out of a 64 which I really like, but my truck has factory ac so I'ill have to modify it slightly to cover up fan etc.

f100 custom dash

Designed my new instrumnet panel for my '76 dash. Used measurements from original for outside dimensions.
I have a pic of the alauminium instrument panel in place. The Left side will have the original light and wiper switches, with new ac outlet. The center will have Automater nexus gauges. The Right side will haver audio nav system on top with controls for Vintage air system below.
The face is fabed (lasercut) from 3/16 6061 t6 alaum. the remainder of the instrument panel is .063 6061 t6 alum. I have had all components installed for verification and now need to finish paint the panel.
Hope this give some insight to you project

Attachments

• F100 instrument panel.JPG
Last edited:
navct, the dash is going to look great. Please keep us posted. I tweeked mine again with a custom housing for the monster tach and re-arranged the dash plus added the aluminum plate to the heater controls.

P1020478.jpg

P1020472.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts