Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

62 F600 cab over

hi guys dont no if this is the right place , but here is my problem, it is a 1962 f600 cab over fire engine, when u try to start it , it will start right up , when u let go of the key it shuts off , if u have the cab up it will stay running, try to close the cab it shuts down,is there a safety swith located on the cab some wheres ,ive looked but cant find one, thanks for your help, tom

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
First off, welcome aboard!

I'm not an expert on those trucks, but it sounds to me that there may be a possible broken connection or a short in the wiring somewhere near the cab hinges.

If I remember right, when you hold the key in the start position, the solenoid gives the ignition system full 12 volt power to assist in starting. When the key is released, it goes back to the standard ignition circuit.

You may try following the wire from the coil into the cab with a test light and see if you find anything.

Fellro

Staff member
I would definitely be looking in the wiring, as the ignition switch is the same when the cab is up as it is down. It doesn't have to be near the hinges, just somewhere that the harness will move when the cab is moving. back in those days, they didn't view safety like they do now, there wasn't a whole lot for safety switches...

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Welcome to the neighborhood. Pictures would be good cause everybody loves firetrucks. I've got a 62 F100 unibody that's a project truck.

Check what these guys mentioned. Any chance of a bad ignition switch or loose wire on the back side of it?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
hi guys dont no if this is the right place , but here is my problem, it is a 1962 f600 cab over fire engine, when u try to start it , it will start right up , when u let go of the key it shuts off , if u have the cab up it will stay running, try to close the cab it shuts down,is there a safety swith located on the cab some wheres ,ive looked but cant find one, thanks for your help, tom
Welcome to FTF

Take a look at your VIN, it should begin with C60: It's a C600 Tilt Cab.

There's no such thing as a F600 cab over. F600's of this vintage have the same cabs as a pickup.

There are several factors that could cause the problem, bad ignition switch, or the ballast resistor wire is defective.

C0LF-12250-A .. Resistor Wire-Coil to Ignition Switch (Motorcraft DY-37) 61.50" long / Color coded pink / 1.30-1.40 ohms resistance / #20 gauge wire.

C3AZ-11572-A .. Ignition Switch (Motorcraft SW-353)

Parts numbers FYI only, the Motorcraft numbers can be crossed over to other brands by autoparts stores.

I looked at the cab tilt mechanism illustration in the parts catalog. There's no switch shown.

Misc. resources.

The 1957/63 Ford Truck Parts Catalog is available on a CD from hipoparts.com.

Shop Manuals, originals & reprints, owners manuals, etc: faxonautolit.com.

:welcome:

Last edited:
BKW, it is a tilt cab , just thought there was some kind safety switch , it runs with the cab up, soon as u try to close it ,shuts right off, if no switch than i guest iam looking for broken wires,, thanks for your help, tom

It sounds like one of the wires in the primary ignition system is grounding out on the cab when it's closed. Have you tried lowering the cab while the truck is running? If not, maybe give that a go and when it dies, take a look aroung to see if anything is touching the cab that shouldnt be.

Ford Truck Articles