Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.4 bed mounted fuel tank question

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Hey guys, yeah, I know I know been a while, been busy driving my new truck, 12,300 miles since the end of June. New question though, I know the 6.0 didn't have any issues with gravity feeding from bed mounted aux tanks, but what about the 6.4? From 29 in my 05 to 38 in the 08, sad part is, I still want more. filling up just plain sucks.

Fellro

Staff member
I can't see how it would make any difference, unless they are worrying about evaporative emissions on diesels now too...

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
On my 04 I have a kit where the aux tank is spliced into the fuel lines with a splitter valve. I bought the kit from kshmarine.com.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Off topic.

Ryan I am working in Keithville now. You probably remember me from the other site. We met up @ hooters in Monroe.

blacksnapon

Staff member
We had an issue with the 6.0s and bed mounted tanks. The extra fuel capacity was confusing the sending units, nothing on the 6.4 though.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Hey guys, yeah, I know I know been a while, been busy driving my new truck, 12,300 miles since the end of June. New question though, I know the 6.0 didn't have any issues with gravity feeding from bed mounted aux tanks, but what about the 6.4? From 29 in my 05 to 38 in the 08, sad part is, I still want more. filling up just plain sucks.

Ryan,

As far as i know, no problems. Several companies make bed tanks. Here are links to RDS & KSH Marine. Northern Tool also carries RDS as do many farm supplies.

Transfer Flow has there "Hi-tech" electronic system but they are way overpriced in my opinion for diesel transfer tanks. Only time Transfer Flow is needed is if you use gasoline or fall under some very specific commercial hauler requirements.

www.kshmarine.com/truck_tanks1.htm
www.rdsaluminum.com/automotivetanks/catalogflyers.html
www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_106+771279
www.farmsupply.citymaker.com/RDS_auxiliaryandtransfertanks.html

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
The tank that I have in my 6.0 is a rds tank. I used the ksh install kit. It is a guality kit where everything is pre wired. It also came with a sending unit. When I am running on the bed tank the factory fuel gauge works. The part where most people would probably hesitate is cutting 10" out of the fuel lines.

I have had this setup for a year and a half with no problems.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Off topic.

Ryan I am working in Keithville now. You probably remember me from the other site. We met up @ hooters in Monroe.

Yep, I remember you Robert. Haynesville Shale got you a little closer to home now. LOL. Probably through the end of 2009 or early 2010.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Update

Finally got around to installing one. Went with the 74 gal tool box combo from TSC. Made by Delta pic http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcssto...ontAssetStore/images/products/600/2266563.jpg

I installed this filter pic http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcssto...ontAssetStore/images/products/600/0189529.jpg

I seal welded one of the mount feet, drilled and tapped for 3/8" npt. Pressure tested (3 psi using a low press regulator) and snooped for leaks (soapy water solution sprayed around modified area). From the filter I have it tee'd into the 3/4" vent line. I made a custom bracket and mounted the filter to the frame rail.

I know the filter is probably way overkill, however aluminum, diesel fuel, and moisture always seem to hang out together. Filling through the bed mounted tank will also double filter the fuel before it gets to the injectors. And if the bed mount filter stops up, the injectors won't starve, it will just stop gravity feeding. Plus it has a drain cock to drain the water off without changing the element. Oh and a tip for everyone that might attempt this on the weekend. 1" PEX fittings fit 3/4" ID hose like a champ. They are available from Lowes or Home Depot.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Total cost for the install was a shade over $835.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well lets see, 38 gallons in the oem tank, 74 in the bed tank of which 72 is probably usable due to the height if the drain. So 110 gallons X 13 = 1430 miles empty. 110 X 9 = 990 towing the camper. On edit, Ill. will not be getting a penny from me on this years Canada Trip.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Update for all wanting to do this mod, do it, you'll love it. Couple of things since the Canada trip in July that I figured I would post.

#1. The extra capacity does screw the mpg calculation up.

#2. In extreme heat with alot of fuel in the aux tank, things can leak. Turn your valeve off to keep of the head pressure off the main tank and hoses.

#3. If you valve off and run the main tank down, and then let it gravity feed full and valve off again, the mpg calculator works correctly.

Just a few observations and learnings.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts