Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x2 to 4x4

Has anyone had any experience on swapping an '82 F250 2wd to 4wd? I had gotten involved in this on Gen. 5 & 6 trucks and there were differences in frames on 4x2 and 4x4 on those older trucks that made the change almost totally impractical. Just looking and taking a few rough measurements the '80 and later look closer to being the same than before. The truck I'm thinking of swapping over is a light duty F250 and what I'd be wanting to use is the straight solid frt. axle found on the higher GVW 250s. Thanks for any input or experiences.

Fellro

Staff member
Going to a straight would be simpler than trying to get the SAS front under it. There are enough differences it is still troublesome. You will find the straight only under F350's, not 250's, at least not until after the body change.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was defiantly thinking straight axle. Not about to tackle an SAS. Do you happen to know much about frame widths? There were some mid yr. changes on Ford 4x4s in the mid to later 70s. And 2wd had different width frames than 4wd some yrs.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
an SAS is a Straight Axle Swap, so you would be doing an SAS :)

However, any F250 in that era will have a TTB front end. You could swap in a D44 or a D60 fairly easily.

Obviously you need a Transmission (unless you went divorced tcase, but the didn't do that in the 80s or swapped it to 4wd (pain in the rear)), Transfer Case, Cross members, new drivelines front and rear.

the frames should be the same, maybe need to knock a few holes in it to bolt the cross members to.

I think thats about it.

Best way is to fine a donor rig to swap from. then you get it all, the cheapest way that i know of. Then swap the 2wd stuff into the donor rig and resell it to recoup some cost.

Fellro

Staff member
SAS can go both ways, my mistake. Swing Axle Suspension, Straight Axle Swap...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts