Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 mod search

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
well, i have determined, after awhile of searching for quick mods for my 96 f350 , and soing most of them... theres not much for quick power adding unless you are opening up the beast itself...no chips, or programmers or modules that seem legit, however..i am getting ready to do an e fan swap, i just have to pick the best one, iv stuck on a cai, and plan for a completely redone exhaust, right now its stock exept it has a dumped flowmaster 40 series. man..theres just not much of a selection for parts if you want to get the most out of your 460 without destroying your fuel economy and bank account...it seems it has to be either mostly stock or 1/4 mile dragster haha

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've been wondering the same thing. I've been looking for upgrades for my 96 460, and I'm just getting confused. Seems most of what I find is, go carb'd, stay stock, or go wild. I'm just looking for a very streetable 4-500ish hp.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i plan tonight on looking to see if hypertech or diablo hav any tuners or chips that arent junk, and im in almost the same situation as you, i just want my dd to have a little more get up and go when i need it or just for when i get bored haha,but there doesnt seem to be a happy medium for the late 7.5s between mpg power and driveability

primetime

sawmill slave
Hi, new to forum. Love the big blocks so I thought I`d add. In 99 Four Wheeler mag did a four part series specifically on an 88 Centurian one-ton Bronco with a 460. They went from 9 to 13 mpg, gained 70 hp and didn`t get into the engine. They added long tube headers, dual exhaust w/flowmasters, a 180 degree t-stat, DEI cool tape on the air box and tubes along with a K&N filter, and some other stuff. BTW, a Hypertech chip didn`t add much in the way of total hp, but it made a huge difference in seat of the pants and actual performance while towing. If you are interested tell me and I will dig up the actual articles. I keep them FAIRLY handy as the info applys to ANY engine. BTW, IMHO, don`t go back to carb from FI in DD. Life will be miserable, ask me how I know.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
yeah my friend had a 460 in his reg cab gen 7 and he said true dualls w longtubes helped alot, and iv gained a small noticeable amount of get up and go since i did the efan and k&n intake, some time in late april i plan to stick on some longtubes and run 4'' out to high flow cats (i hate you e.p.a.!!) and some super 44's, and next payday ill probably get a new msd coil, cap&rotor, some nice spark plugs, and 9mm ford racing plugwires

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
Hi, new to forum. Love the big blocks so I thought I`d add. In 99 Four Wheeler mag did a four part series specifically on an 88 Centurian one-ton Bronco with a 460

the words "one ton bronco" sound amazing together haha i want one now!...but w a late 7.3 powerstroke

ruffdawg

ruffdawg
mich
increase milage

did kn filter , removed cat , deul glasspacks w/ 2 1/2 pipe out the back. plan to advance timing to 12 1/2 degress. cant figure gas mileage cuz cant keep from foot out of it. wish id married her first even though shed been a bed hawg. she he now sings like a fat girl.whaling vocals like a fine tuned block buster movie theater.any more gas improvement mods would be appreciated. 1996 f 250 460 ci. deisels are for tractors or things that cut grass. 'smiliepig'

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
avoid air intake unless it goes completely out of engine bay .

I just bought a 97 F350 4x4 . I'm yanking the 460 for a 351 . Cant take the 10 MPG and the 351 got 12 MPG and that was with mods. Unless you haul all time. The 460 is a hauler not racer

Ford Truck Articles