Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4 speed clutch

Hey all. So my buddy just picked up a 68 high boy 390 with a 4 speed. When he was looking at it he said running or not if u put it in any gear nothing happened. No grinding no movement nothing. The guy told him something got stuck and he pried on the linkage and it hasn't moved since then. We towed it back to his house and now it goes into gear and moves. We've successfully moved it forward and backward. However we cannot get the clutch to disengage. The pedal is moving the clutch plate in and out. I can still see grooves on the plate it all seems ok. While its running and the clutch is fully depressed it makes a bit of a rattle kinda noise, the clutch plate moves out, however it does not release to shift into gear. We've backed out the adjustment screw a considerable amount hoping it was that. Now just looking for some suggestions.
Any help is much appreciated.

1993 F250 3k in the 460-my 1st truck
1973 K20 6" lift-bright future
1967 F250 2x4-diesel swap in its future

Hey all. So my buddy just picked up a 68 high boy 390 with a 4 speed. When he was looking at it he said running or not if u put it in any gear nothing happened. No grinding no movement nothing. The guy told him something got stuck and he pried on the linkage and it hasn't moved since then. We towed it back to his house and now it goes into gear and moves. We've successfully moved it forward and backward. However we cannot get the clutch to disengage. The pedal is moving the clutch plate in and out. I can still see grooves on the plate it all seems ok. While its running and the clutch is fully depressed it makes a bit of a rattle kinda noise, the clutch plate moves out, however it does not release to shift into gear. We've backed out the adjustment screw a considerable amount hoping it was that. Now just looking for some suggestions.
Any help is much appreciated.

Maybe the throw out bearing fried,an fused to....:scratch:

This is quoted from a response I received on another forum, maybe putting it here will help someone else at some point.
eggman918 said:
When I was doing the cummins swap the motor sat on a pallet for well over a year and when i got it in and running it was doing the same thing and I finely figured out that the disc was "stuck' from sitting for so long so I started it in gear with the clutch depressed and the E brake on and the wheels blocked real good and the jarring of it firing up without the clutch engaged was enough to get the disc to come free :2cents:

This is quoted from a response I received on another forum, maybe putting it here will help someone else at some point.

Yea,thats possible.Ive personally have never experienced that problem
an only herd of brake fusing after sitting,however,Ive had pressure
plates an throw out bearings give out on me.

Someone else may have the answer to your problem.Just hang out
a bit an enjoy the forum,maybe someone will ring in...:)

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to add that the quoted post was in fact the problem. Did what he suggested and it def needs a new throw out bearing but the clutch does work now. It drives.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I'd suggest replacement of that clutch, they're relatively inexpensive and rather easy to do. Especially since you say it needs a throwout bearing....

I'd suggest replacement of that clutch, they're relatively inexpensive and rather easy to do. Especially since you say it needs a throwout bearing....

It will be replaced soon. Various other repairs are in order as well, we just needed to make sure the trans itself wasn't bad.

NP435 is near bomb proof. Even with severe abuse...

Ya but the story this guy had as his reason for parking it for 5 years was a confusing one that had me needing to be sure before I put my time into someone else transmission. Lol

I think he just didn't know as much about trucks as he attempted to let on and I'm not overly familiar with those transmissions, however my knowledge is expanding quickly. In part with help from guys like yourself. Thank you

Would you happen to know the gearing for these transmissions?

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts