Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

3G Alternator Generating too many volts

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Hi-

Is it likely the brand new 3G 130 amp alternator I purchased came with a defective regulator?

-KJ

Trying to get this truck working so my animals don't starve. Thought I was in the clear regarding vehicle issues, but am not. Belt is stretching too, fits tightly and now is loose and allows PSP, fan clutch and alternator to be erratic.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
How many volts is too many? Are you reading with the gauge on the dash or a voltmeter?

Where did you get the alternator, anything is possible, but personally been having a bad run of parts lately.

Not being a smart a$$, just trying to see what is happening.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Bench testing the part before leaving the auto parts store almost always absolves the question asked. ;)

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Bench testing the part before leaving the auto parts store almost always absolves the question asked. ;)
Sometimes...........

I've gotten some bad electrical stuff lately, worked fine, then suddenly.........

It is good advice though, and a habit one would do well to follow.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager

Thanks. I'll be sure to ask Advance to bench test it before they mail it to me. Appreciate the help.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
On your belt disaster, I know you have had on going problems with that, having some troubles here too, I've been getting a run of bad belts. The cords are pulling loose in the rubber, they get longer and come apart eventually. Most recently it's a V belt that I never expected, as it doesn't run very tight. Having the most trouble out of Napa, lately.

Did you figure out your alternator troubles? Few things chap my hide like a bad new part.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
On your belt disaster, I know you have had on going problems with that, having some troubles here too, I've been getting a run of bad belts. The cords are pulling loose in the rubber, they get longer and come apart eventually. Most recently it's a V belt that I never expected, as it doesn't run very tight. Having the most trouble out of Napa, lately.

Did you figure out your alternator troubles? Few things chap my hide like a bad new part.

Well, the mechanic I was using (a friend too) is out of business. Didn't impress with some last minute decisions, but I had to help him move out etc over this week from his commercial location.

Anyway, I've got everything I can possibly do here except a smoke machine. He advised me against using the can of carb starter to find the idle because the engine has a paint job that would get marred by it, but I have everything else and will report later on amp removal, alt tests, iac checks, etc. I've a new IAC, new seals, new amp, new amp wiring as well once I get my baseline volt readings and unplugged readings and amp disconnected reaedings.

As for the belt, the tensioner is back to its metal strike plate and the belt is stretched. It's not fraying anymore or falling off and become fan spaghetti, it's literally stretching to failure. The first was a low quality test belt from rock auto, but the next one was a heavy duty auto zone and it's stretched now too. And another one prior to all this was also stretched and a heavy duty good one from rock auto, different brand.

The PSP was installed poorly by you-know-who's guidance (I helped, but read the procedure later and got a little upset there was no bleeding of the power steering lines among other things to clear out any debris ie flush). It's whining like a banshee, but has had heaps of tension at the wheel. You can feel it pulling and it's little wonder the belt is getting stretched. I really am not sure which is the primary fault, but I know I can get further down the electrical issue first and hopefully stop burning 6-8 miles a gallon (it's running rich with whatever is going on).

Maybe I'm getting bad belts and a bad alternator (regulator). I do have that kind of luck. Again, will report soon what I found.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Good luck, hopefully it gets better!

Hey Blue-

So, small fupaw on my part. The energizer side of the alternator sending power to the starter solenoid was not tight.

The alternator was regulating fine, generating 14.5v give or take .3v.

The battery stopped receiving extra voltage WHEN I tightened the energizer link snug so it couldn't be rotated a little bit. Apparently the insecure contact (physically touching, just a little lose) was enough to cause the alternator to receive a "not enough volts being sent" message and was forcing more voltage through to get to the expected output.

I didn't actually test in the lose configuration, but the difference was night and day. The voltage is staying on the instrument gauge battery reader between the A and the L rather than moving far past the L after 10-15 minutes of running and going dangerously close to the bracket and approaching the red line.

The Amp is still shorting itself, but that's a wiring issue I will take care of next.

HOWEVER, same mechanic was moving my spare saab engine with me to my farm tonight and my F250 plow truck tomorrow. He heard a knock. We investigated.

The engine at right around 882 miles has blown somewhere. Brand new S&J Engine, leaking oil, burning oil, and the coolant is mixing in the engine and the radiator showed a spike going close to out of tolerances.

I'm at my witt's end. $4K+ on a brand new engine, installed either incorrectly or arrived defective or both. I don't know who to blame, but I didn't buy the extra comp insurance either, so when this goes to a shop, if it is warrantied, I'm only going to have $850 of warrantied engine work. I thought it was highly unlikely I would need this engine to be reworked and reinstalled in 900 miles. I thought 7 years 100K miles was definitely going to be a safe bet.

I'm also worried they could find the shop at fault and well, the shop is out of business and has no insurance. I have full coverage, but I don't want to sue my "friend" that may be liable for the work.

Excuse my g'd French, but it's a shit day and well, I could use a working truck more than ever given the condition of the world.

On the upside, the alternator stopped slipping on the belt once I fixed this alternator connection, so the voltage is stable (not when turning or shifting gears, but not slipping the rest of the time). The pump and tensioner may have been victims of the harmonic balancer/crank shaft that appears to be leaking slightly as well.

This spilled over from just an alternator quandry (tighten your power line good n tight, should not move at all!) to a blown engine at 900 miles.

At least I don't have to warranty the alternator. It's regulating power correctly.

Last edited:

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Whoa, man, that is horrible. I hate that. Back to poor quality control on rebuilt parts again. I'm racking my brain as to where the oil and water could get together on that engine, the temp spike makes me think cracked cylinder wall, which in hindsight, might explain the noisy heater core. Maybe they never magnifluxed the block?

Again, so sorry to hear that.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Whoa, man, that is horrible. I hate that. Back to poor quality control on rebuilt parts again. I'm racking my brain as to where the oil and water could get together on that engine, the temp spike makes me think cracked cylinder wall, which in hindsight, might explain the noisy heater core. Maybe they never magnifluxed the block?

Again, so sorry to hear that.

Appreciate it, and yeah I am not an engine mechanic.

There is a leak of oil (small, not something where 6 quarts could have gone over 400 miles) at the harmonic balancer too. I also wiped some oil off the oil pan when we discovered this and wanted to make sure I wasn't an idiot and didn't secure the oil pan drain plug or something, but no, it was all intact and I'm sure I would have only made it 70 miles or less if that had fallen out.

Maybe they didn't magniflux it? I'm not sure what that means, but I'll go look it up and be a little smarter. They really look like a reputable engine remanufacturer, right behind Jasper, but a better warranty which is why I went with them (and about $700 cheaper for just a small block 300-6).

S&J Engines right there out in Spokane, WA.

I wasn't there for the unloading at the mechanic's shop. The worst thing could be they dropped it and didn't tell me and decided to install it? Anything's possible. Same mechanic dropped my F250's plow blade on my truck bed's gate today and put the first actual damage in it. My patience is a little thin there between bad news and bad decisions. Let me GET INTO THE BED before you drop a frigg'n plow blade forward because there's no smarter way to help ease it down than me to be above the blade instead of under it holding it up as it comes down. Sheesh. And maybe put some dunnage to take the impact on the tail gate, ya?

Tonight has been a banger.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
It sounds like one of those days I guy wishes he had stayed home.

Magnifuxing is a process for detecting cracks or holes in machined materials. You'll see how when you look it up. Many places will bring in a core, strip the block, magniflux, machine, and assemble. This process is incorrect, as all machine work should be performed BEFORE the crack check. It's not uncommon to bore a cylinder and uncover a crack or pin hole. Same holds true for heads and crankshafts. A reputable rebuilder does it before and after.

If the temperature spike occured INSTANTLY, followed by the knock, I'm betting that's what happened. But I won't go so far as to say with any certainty, because I'm not there.

Let it set over night, in the morning, loosen the drain plug and see if you get any antifreeze.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Oh right, water first, then oil... Light a match on top of the river, it's a beautiful sight.

Might be the end game for this truck too.

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Holy shit man that really sucks.

Not really sure how a misinstallation could do that so quickly, that sounds like internal troubles not install troubles

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Holy shit man that really sucks.

Not really sure how a misinstallation could do that so quickly, that sounds like internal troubles not install troubles

I appreciate the positive vibes and hope that's how S&J Engines responds to this as well on Monday when I call them during business hours. :beer:

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
I appreciate the positive vibes and hope that's how S&J Engines responds to this as well on Monday when I call them during business hours. [emoji481]
Let me know, I am a master mechanic by trade and will speak to them if need be. Just let me know

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
What city/state is this S&J located in?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I had an engine installed from this same place in 2006(different name at the time) in my '78 F-150. The first engine lasted until right before the warranty expiration - blown head gasket. The second engine has lasted 12 years and 60,000 miles with no problems. They did have to verify that the lead button wasn't melted(overheated) before replacing the engine.

Ford Truck Articles