Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2004 E350 Chaging issue.

I purchased a used Quigley E350 4x4 Super Duty last Spring. The batteries & alternator were bad & replaced. I now have a similar problem, the voltage is low on the dash and battery light is on. Only 44K on the truck. I checked and charged the 15 month old batteries and they didn't seem to be holding a charge - no substantial draw indicated. With the first few cold nights hitting us, the batteries didn't hold proper voltage over the course of a few days. I replaced them to be cautious. The 15 month old new Ford alternator has a delay in alternator output when starting the truck. Battery voltage is 12 or so volts and the alternator does not field for a while, regardless of engine RPM. From a few minutes to 15 minutes so far. When it does kick in, it's putting out about 14.2 volts. I cant find any reference to see if the voltage regulator is separate or part of the alternator. Bad diode maybe slowly taking the batteries out?? We only drive it on weekends to hit the beach or ski slopes. The alternator is not in a user friendly location and I'd like some input before I go to remove it again. 6.0L diesel engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I purchased a used Quigley E350 4x4 Super Duty last Spring. The batteries & alternator were bad & replaced. I now have a similar problem, the voltage is low on the dash and battery light is on. Only 44K on the truck. I checked and charged the 15 month old batteries and they didn't seem to be holding a charge - no substantial draw indicated. With the first few cold nights hitting us, the batteries didn't hold proper voltage over the course of a few days. I replaced them to be cautious. The 15 month old new Ford alternator has a delay in alternator output when starting the truck. Battery voltage is 12 or so volts and the alternator does not field for a while, regardless of engine RPM. From a few minutes to 15 minutes so far. When it does kick in, it's putting out about 14.2 volts. I cant find any reference to see if the voltage regulator is separate or part of the alternator. Bad diode maybe slowly taking the batteries out?? We only drive it on weekends to hit the beach or ski slopes. The alternator is not in a user friendly location and I'd like some input before I go to remove it again. 6.0L diesel engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yep! Sounds like an alternator to me. It is an internal regulator.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yep! Sounds like an alternator to me. It is an internal regulator.

I'm gonna go with the safe bet and agree with Vince. Although, I'd advise going junk yarding, buying those things new are ridiculously priced...unless of course you can in fact get a life time warranty.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts