Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1996 Ford F350 XL one ton dually with 8 foot service bed

Hello, my name is Steve and I saw this 1996 F-350 XL 1 Ton Dually for $2,500 and wondering if it's a good deal. 5.8L engine four-speed manual with overdrive 188,000 miles.

Turn signals do not work, windshield needs to be replaced, wind-wing window on passenger side needs glass, and front end twin I beam suspension... Steering seems loose, no noise, but steering wheel needs constant left-right adjustments to keep it running straight .

vehicle has good cold AC and heat, huge service/utility bed.

Engine pulls strong and the transmission shifts smoothly brakes are good headlights work tail lights work just no turn signals, I'm thinking that might be a fuse or something because all four do not work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...engine type model longevity, steering issue fixes, turn signals repair.

Thanks for your help, recommendations, and advice, in advance. 😊

IMG_20230119_162946429.jpg

IMG_20230119_163015260_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230119_163031594_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230120_125013188.jpg

IMG_20230120_125030546.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
Windshield will likely run$2-300, soundslike the tie rods or steering box are needing replacement, wing windo isn't too bad to do or check on the price when you go for the windshield. 351W motors are a good motor, take care of them and they just keep on going. It depends largely on what you want to do as to how well it fits your needs. Turn signals could be as simple as a fuse or as much as a switch which isn't too bad to replace either.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Was going to say the same. Price of the truck is a pretty good deal for what ive seen lately.

Windshield will likely run$2-300, soundslike the tie rods or steering box are needing replacement, wing windo isn't too bad to do or check on the price when you go for the windshield. 351W motors are a good motor, take care of them and they just keep on going. It depends largely on what you want to do as to how well it fits your needs. Turn signals could be as simple as a fuse or as much as a switch which isn't too bad to replace either.
That sounds reasonably straightforward with the turn signals. Thanks.

I've got a mechanic here in town that will look at the front steering on Tuesday.

My main concern I think is that heavy service bed. I'm sure it weighs quite a bit and I really don't need it.

I would like to find a 8-ft pickup bed with flared fenders for the dually cuz I really like the dually configuration and I know it'll tell about 12,000 lb so that's great for what I want to tow but I just don't need the service bed.

Problem with that is have to find someone that can actually do that work because I'm in my seventies and I can't do that now I used to could when I was a young man but no more so that's another kind of anotherbappeich as to your question of how do I I tend to use the vehicle.

That sounds reasonably straightforward with the turn signals. Thanks.

I've got a mechanic here in town that will look at the front steering on Tuesday.

My main concern I think is that heavy service bed. I'm sure it weighs quite a bit and I really don't need it.

I would like to find a 8-ft pickup bed with flared fenders for the dually cuz I really like the dually configuration and I know it'll tell about 12,000 lb so that's great for what I want to tow but I just don't need the service bed.

Problem with that is have to find someone that can actually do that work because I'm in my seventies and I can't do that now I used to could when I was a young man but no more so that's another kind of anotherbappeich as to your question of how do I I tend to use the vehicle.
I apologize for the typos my new Motorola phone is not so smart as a matter of fact it's pretty dumb when it comes to understanding my words and phrasing 😂

Fellro

Staff member
You may be better off either waiting for a different deal as you will be having more costs to make this one useable in that the service body would need removed and a different bed added. That in itself will be a bit of cost being it would be hired, not to mention having to find a bed to put on. A flatbed may end up being a better choice as they are readily available while the bed and flares are not.

You may be better off either waiting for a different deal as you will be having more costs to make this one useable in that the service body would need removed and a different bed added. That in itself will be a bit of cost being it would be hired, not to mention having to find a bed to put on. A flatbed may end up being a better choice as they are readily available while the bed and flares are not.
That's kind of my thinking too because I really don't need that service bed, and then I'd have to get rid of that thing somehow because I live in a very nice area and I don't want a bunch of junk hanging around the house.

That's kind of my thinking too because I really don't need that service bed, and then I'd have to get rid of that thing somehow because I live in a very nice area and I don't want a bunch of junk hanging around the house.
One thing is for sure though I'm sticking with Ford because I had really good luck with a 98 Ford F-150 4x4 that I pretty much ran into the ground mileage wise and it was still running strong before it got wrecked with me in it. I didn't even get a scratch but the truck was totaled.

That 4.6 was a strong running little engine and I really like that body style.

So. My next truck will definitely be a Ford.

I had two Dodge duallys 1977 4x4 with a 460 I believe and a and another Dodge dually with a 318 which was fantastic on gas mileage.

And I had a international harvester 4x4 pickup that was a really nice truck but the gas mileage was really bad.

And a Chevy 64 I believe, that was a pretty good truck and then I had a 68 GMC that was not bad.

Out of all the trucks that I've owned the Ford was the best!

Ford Truck Articles