Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1987 F250 cab swap. How?

Not if you do it right. I kept the flame strictly on the lead and never let it touch the copper if I could help it. And move the fire all over the lead, not in one spot. When it starts to bubble, its getting there.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Interesting...I guess I've never thought about it as I try to avoid a flame near a battery.

HAHA! I did this on the floor before I put them on the truck. Never do it in the engine bay. They work great but need to route them the proper way and find the right terminals. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just be methodical and ask questions.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Disconnect all linkages, wiring etc. and remove the cab bolts. When I took mine off my 79, that is pretty much what I did.
Take a shitload of pictures and video.
Doors I marked hinge placement, but that might not be such an issue for you given you are swapping cabs, I'm keeping mine.
Look for things that penetrate the firewall and remove or disconnect.

Sounds easy but I know it won't be. Where are all the bolts holding the front clip on? If I can't get a core support, I'm gonna try to get by and leave the clip on. Depending on what yard I go with, I'm not pulling the new cab. Just wondering if $400 for a bare, rust free, direct swap cab that I don't have to pull is high...only has surface rust on roof.

I only paid $400 for the truck as a whole not running and unaware of the cancer. I bought it for the HD F250, clean frame,c6 trans and diesel engine. Trans has no reverse and engine won't start.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds easy but I know it won't be. Where are all the bolts holding the front clip on? If I can't get a core support, I'm gonna try to get by and leave the clip on. Depending on what yard I go with, I'm not pulling the new cab. Just wondering if $400 for a bare, rust free, direct swap cab that I don't have to pull is high...only has surface rust on roof.

I've not taken a cab or clip off for that late a year, but I suspect it would be close to the older ones...you just have to look for the bolts, I'm not trying to be a smartass.
$400 seems like a good price to me.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts