Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1983 f250 blowing cold air

Hey everybody,

So I have an old 83 f250 with the 5.8 in it. It's winter now, so I am using the heater quite a bit.. The trucks heater works great when it's sitting still or going 40 mph or less. When I get on the freeway it blows straight cold air. And as soon as I get back onto normal streets, it warms up again.. It wasn't doing this last year.

What do you all think it could be? I have checked the coolant level many times and it's good..

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
This may seem a bit silly, but if your truck doesn't have A/C, there are vents on both sides in the kick panels that may not be closing (or are open, I forgot to close mine when the weather got cold and had this symptom) fully. Also check the ductwork, like where the blower motor box attaches to the firewall. My old f250 let in air there, the foam gasket was worn out.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Depending on where you're at, a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator can help...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Coolant level full and thermostat working properly?

Having said that, I don't know where you are located, but when I used to drive vehicles of that era in minus 20 or better, the heater would often blow cold at highway speed and as mentioned, a piece of cardboard across the front worked wonders.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts