Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1976 F350 base

new to site...question is, how do I determine how to recognise the type of suspension, steering i have? any pics of info anyone can provide? my truck has a transplant 7.3 IDI and a DRW dana 70... really want to get it to run down the road straight w/o wandering so much. parts store says I have to identify front end type for replacement parts availability???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dealing with a bit of frankenstein are we now. Best thing to do for us to help now, is snap as many pics as you can and post them up here...there's a good chance someone here will be able to visually identify your set up.

TIB steering

found out that I indeed have a TIB steering set-up, with kingpins...I would upload pics but I am not so adept at doing such. replaced rag joint/coupler today, found improvements in less wander, however still seems to track off line somewhat. truck has sat for 6-7years in AZ desert, all grease zerts look really dry. is it possible that could be the culprit? i know ur saying why just not get it lubed, duh. I live forty miles from town and dont own a grease gun nor have the ability. just saying!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
A lack of grease can cause premature wear...so you may need to do more than just add grease. I'd be checking any and all bushings you can find and jack up the truck and see if there's an front to rear and/or top to bottom play at the tire.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
thadley,while you have the front of the truck in the air inspecting for wear,try to turn your front tires right to left at the tire.if they wont turn or are hard to turn chances are your king pins are frozen they may even make a creaking noise.you replaced the rag joint. that tells me its being put under a lot of stress & steering column issues will be next if the kingpins are froze.this will definitly cause the truck to wander.get them greased,if they wont accept grease sometimes a little heat along with a helper inside the truck to turn the wheel back & forth may free them up temporarily.

BuzzGun79

an aftermarket steering stabilizer will also help with a wandering truck.basically its a shock that bolts on front end components.just giving you some ideas.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
an aftermarket steering stabilizer will also help with a wandering truck.basically its a shock that bolts on front end components.just giving you some ideas.

A front stabilizer is nothing but a band aid and will only mask the problem until it comes back with fury.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Doesn't a front shock stabilizer also make your pump work harder to compress the shock along with the other steering components? Just seems to me it would , causing premature wear .

Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I imagine resistance is negligible, considering I can compress a stabilizer by hand.

BuzzGun79

UTfball,i couldnt agree more with you.the stabilizer would be a band aid in this case. hes going to have to grease or even replace the kingpins.but it may help get him get buy till he can is what i meant.

Dak, i dont believe the stabilizer causes premature wear.my 77 1/2 ton 2 wheeler had wandering issue when i got it.i replaced the pins,drag link,steering box,rag joint,repacked wheel bearings,then had an alinement done..it still wandered a bit.put a stabilizer on it & no more wander & gave me many trouble free miles.i also run 1 on my 01 jeep wrangler with no troubles.i guess it comes down to personal preference & vehicles vary.Bob

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts