Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1972 F100 Shortbed Bumpside Project

Ludachris

Staff member
Think I'm just going to stick with the blue paint on the intake manifold. I did notice I failed to label the pushrods when I took them out. 😖 Well, let's hope that doesn't come back to bite me when I start it up.

Just need to work on a new fuel line and figure out a solution for plugging the block heater port coming out of the block. Then it's just a matter of bolting everything back together - assuming I can remember how it all goes together :D

Fellro

Staff member
At least the push rods are all the same length...I took an old postal box and poked holes through it to put the push rods in when I take them out now.

Ludachris

Staff member
How quickly 8 months flies by. Turns out I had to spend most of my free time last summer finishing the build of the in-laws quarters on our property. That build not only took up time, but it sucked up funds that were allocated for the truck. 😖 Not to mention some projects that popped up around the house that took more time away, family visiting over the holidays, etc. I'm just now now getting back to the point where I can put some time into the truck.

The plans for the build have changed a little over the past year. I'm leaning towards grabbing a low mileage 6R80 automatic transmission and swapping it in. The thought behind this is to make it easier for my wife (and daughter) to drive, and also make towing a little easier. I'll have to use an adapter plate and swap out the pedals and the steering column. A title column would be nice.

I'm also leaning towards pulling the motor and getting it rebuilt sooner instead of just slapping it all back together and driving it. I want it to be reliable enough to drive anywhere, and might as well just do it all now. It will make swapping out the transmission easier, working on power brakes and power steering, etc. I've gone full circle on suspension plans, looking at IFS options and coming back to just keeping the twin I-beam setup to retain the utility of the truck.

The only thing holding up progress is $$$ at this point.

Fellro

Staff member
Can't really argue against rebuilding - I had a nasty exterience with a couple wrist pin snap rings failing and then wearing grooves into the cylinder walls in 2 cylinders. Not to mention that if it hasn't ever been done, will want to get a look at the valve seats and make sure they have hardened seats.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts