Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1953 C600

Vin C60R3H49001, trans code 4syn, rear axle code 633-881, color N.

VIN decoded means C600, 239 CID, and it was built in detroit.

0717101848-00.jpg

0717101852-00.jpg

20100723081654.jpg

The body is straight as an arrow. a little surface rust, nothing major. hasnt been started in a few years. here is the best part- i got it for $100. no one else was bidding on it. BTW, i got it at an auction in Wolf Point, MT. Actually, i didnt buy it, my dad bought it, i just was bidding for him. If i had had my way, i would have bid on the f600 that you can see in the pick of the inside. Look through the drivers side window, the yellow one. i wanted that, but i was bidding with borrowed money and didnt have the authorization to buy it. But i bid anyways only because no one was bidding. when it got to $700, i figured i would be in trouble if i bought it, so i quit.

Not sure of the plans yet. Probably will get painted John Deere Green. Other then that, not sure. It may get a roll back and be used for hauling tractors. If that happens, it will probably get a different powerplant. If i had it my way, it would get painted, the flathead rebuilt with performance parts, and just used for the weekends for fun. But it may get a diesel powerplant so its more useful. If thats the case, ill take the flathead and put it in something else. Maybe a model T? who knows. The seat is pretty bad, i have a nice seat that came out of a 76 f150, and i believe it will work in there nicely.

Im not sure where or how to decode the trans code, axle, or color. Anyone know? Bill? Dennis? The trans reminds me of a t18, looking at it and feeling how it shifts, but i wouldnt think i would find a t18 in a medium duty truck. Its a two speed rear end.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sweet score for the price. Sounds like you have some pretty cool plans for it.

Yeah I hope it turns out ok. I think its cool becaus eyou dont see many c600s around.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Vin C60R3H49001, trans code (not the code, the type) 4syn, rear axle code (not the code, the ratios) 633-881, color N.

VIN decoded means C600, 239 CID, and it was built in detroit.

Im not sure where or how to decode the trans code (there isn't one-just the type is listed on the Rating Plate).

Axle (ditto-just the ratio(s) are listed on the Rating Plate) or color. Anyone know?
Ask...and ye shall receive.

C60 = C600 Cab Forward.

R = 239 flathead V8.

3 = 1953.

H = Detroit Truck Assembly Plant.

49001 = Numerical Sequence of Assembly (truck's specific serial number).

N = Vermillion.
--------------
1957 was the first year FoMoCo began embossing codes for the AXLE and TRANS on the Rating Plate. 1948/56: Only the type of trans is listed, only the axle ratio(s) is/are listed.

From the 1948/56 Ford Truck Parts Catalog:

1953 B/C/F600: Eaton Model 1350 2 Speed Rear Axle / 6.33/8.81-1 / 13,000 lb. Rear Axle Capacity.

1953 C550/700; B500/700; F100/700: Borg Warner T-98 4 Speed Manual Transmission (the only 4 speed offered for these trucks).

btw: 1957/91 C Series trucks look almost identical (a coupla years came w/dual headlamps-the only major outward appearance change), so you see a lotta these around.

But...today, 1953/56 C Series trucks are almost as rare as hens teeth. I've only seen a coupla a these, at the F100 Western Nats truck show held in SoCal, at the F100 SuperNats truck show held in TN.

JMO: This truck looks to be all original with everything intact, making it even rarer still. A vehicle is only original ONCE, so why repaint it...especially in a color never offered for it?

I'd clean it up, do the mechanical work and leave the rest of it alone.

Last edited:
That's quite the steal. It would be impossible to not have fun with a truck like that. Then again, I'm a sucker for everything built before 1960. But I've got a soft spot for early 50s Ford rigs. I may have grown up with light duty Ford trucks and Dodge Caravan minivans, but we always had this big bad black F-300 flat bed dually with a 300 I6 swapped in from a wrecked 1980 F-100. Miss that truck. Its still in the family, only its 5,000 miles away in long term storage.

Ask...and ye shall receive.

C60 = C600 Cab Forward.

R = 239 flathead V8.

3 = 1953.

H = Detroit Truck Assembly Plant.

49001 = Numerical Sequence of Assembly (truck's specific serial number).

N = Vermillion.
--------------
1957 was the first year FoMoCo began embossing codes for the AXLE and TRANS on the Rating Plate. 1948/56: Only the type of trans is listed, only the axle ratio(s) is/are listed.

From the 1948/56 Ford Truck Parts Catalog:

1953 B/C/F600: Eaton Model 1350 2 Speed Rear Axle / 6.33/8.81-1 / 13,000 lb. Rear Axle Capacity.

1953 C550/700; B500/700; F100/700: Borg Warner T-98 4 Speed Manual Transmission (the only 4 speed offered for these trucks).

btw: 1957/91 C Series trucks look almost identical (a coupla years came w/dual headlamps-the only major outward appearance change), so you see a lotta these around.

But...today, 1953/56 C Series trucks are almost as rare as hens teeth. I've only seen a coupla a these, at the F100 Western Nats truck show held in SoCal, at the F100 SuperNats truck show held in TN.

JMO: This truck looks to be all original with everything intact, making it even rarer still. A vehicle is only original ONCE, so why repaint it...especially in a color never offered for it?

I'd clean it up, do the mechanical work and leave the rest of it alone.

thank you sir. that is exactly what i was looking for. thank you for your input on what to do with it. it may go unpainted, but the problem is, its a montana truck, so very little rust. as soon as it comes to washington, it will start with the cancer immediatly

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts