Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1952 F100 Custom

I'm glad to have this site as a source of info and a fun place to talk about Ford trucks. I'm currently finishing a nice project a close friend started many years ago. It's a 1952 F100. The project is about 90% complete. My job is to finish the Painless wiring. I want to get the 351W running. I'm needing to use an ignition switch with Acc.,Stop, Ignition, and Start position mounted in the place of the old 6 volt switch. What are some ideas on the type of switch to use. This is going to be an interesting project. If I can figure how to post a photo I will. Thanks everybody
Fasteddie

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Welcome to FTF! :wavey:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hi Eddie,
Glad to have you aboard. How close to stock are you trying for? Restoration to stock specs or rebuilt with modern components?

Since you're using a painless kit I'd guess you're rebuilding to something more modern. I replaced my ignition switch with one like you described. Got mine from the local NAPA store. It's a universal switch and mounts in the hole like the original.

My favorite supplier for these trucks is Sacramento Vintage Ford in CA, Mac's Antique Auto Parts in NY and a host of others. You can find them online and get a free catalog to help you dream.

Let us know how we can help you. I rebuilt a 48 F1 daily driver, have a 52 F2, a 48 F6 and a 52 F6. Lots of fun, easy to work on and lots of smiles per gallon!

Hi Tim. I'm doing all custom on this truck using electric windows, tilt fiberglass frontend, Vintage Air and the list goes on. This belongs to a friend that needs help finishing up a very long project. I'm excited about getting it going for him. A lot of work has gone into this truck and it deserves to be back on the road. It's so nice to have a friend like you and some of the other Ford Fanatics to talk to and get your input. I'll stay in touch.
Fast Eddie

1952 F100 wiring

I'm looking for a wiring diagram of the !952 F100. I want to wire the original headlight switch. The terminals have a letter by them but I'm not sure where to hook the wires. I think I see six wires coming from the"Painless" harness to the headlight switch. They have good marks but I'm not sure about the marking on the headlight switch.
Thanks
Fast EddiesmilieFordlogo

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Maybe you can hook up a multimeter to the switch and see what has continuity say when the parking lights are on and you would hook up parking light wire to that terminal and then when headlights are on you hook up wire to that terminal, etc. Kind of tough for me to explain online, but that's how I just wired an ignition switch into a lawn tractor by testing the terminals for what had power in a certain position. Should work on a headlight switch too.

Good idea. I started doing that and was'nt sure which terminal was common so I figured a diagram would be a big help. I'm going to wire a few items like dome light and courtesy lights to truck and would like to have the diagrm to refer to for anything else that comes up. In the meantime I get my trusty ohm meter out again.
Thanks
Fast EddiesmilieIagree

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
The diagrams are in the shop manual if you are using stock colored wires. Lots of manuals on ebay - both paper and cd.

If you order parts, you're looking for 52 F1...... F100 didn't come along until 53.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I haven't been able to find a diagram for you - I'll try to describe it for you. And don't worry about the F1 thing - we've all done the same thing when we got into this game.

With the switch knob facing toward you and looking down on the top, you should have 2 contacts on the front section and six contacts on the back section. Something like this:

7 - 8
5 - 6
3 - 4

1 - 2

Post 1 is connected to posts 6 and 8 - looks to just be a jumper wire between them [and then goes from #8 as a black wire to the tail lights.]

Post 2 goes to three lights on the gauge panel (Blue w/Red tracer)

Post 3 goes to the headlight dimmer switch (Red w/ Yellow tracer)

Post 4 goes to the bottom of the 30 amp circuit breaker (Black w/ orange tracer)

Post 5 goes to the top of the circuit breaker (Yellow w/ red tracer)

Post 6 jumpered to 8 and connected to post 1

Post 7 goes to park lights (Black w/ yellow tracer)

Post 8 goes to tail lights (Black)

I don't have one apart so I'm going from the shop manual. Hope you can make sense from this. Because 1,6 & 8 are connected, there are only 6 wires attached from the wire harness. I don't know what colors Painless uses. The details above are stock wire colors.

Let me know how you get along with this and just yell if you need more details.

52' Ford wiring

Tim
That's perfect. I can hook the switch now. The terminals are marked with letters that make scense now that you told me where the go. You're a lifesaver.
Fast Eddie:)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts