Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

09 F-150 wins an award

i looked back at previous winners

08 tundra
07 silverado
06 honda ridgeline
05 tacoma
04 f150
03 dodge ram

(no comments)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sweet Ford all the way baby :D

I like how the 07 Chevy 1500 won against other 1/2 ton trucks because it had the 6.0L in it. Which is far from impressive....

I agree....it's a joke.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I think it's comical that the oriental branded "cocktail shaker" was even noted as a winner of anything for 2008. Consider it's woes......

a) Ugly vibration problem and bed that hits cab (as noted in youtube video, "polishing the paint") on Arizona proving grounds.
b) Overload the tailgate bit more than what it's rated for and it disintegrates.
c) Broken camshafts in early models
d) Rumblings of tranny issues similar to the well documented camery tranny problems.
e) Photos of vehicle after a front end crash will raise a few eyebrows.

and finally........

f) The vehicle has a permanent, and irreparable defect.

Michigan
I think it's comical that the oriental branded "cocktail shaker" was even noted as a winner of anything for 2008. Consider it's woes......

a) Ugly vibration problem and bed that hits cab (as noted in youtube video, "polishing the paint") on Arizona proving grounds.
b) Overload the tailgate bit more than what it's rated for and it disintegrates.
c) Broken camshafts in early models
d) Rumblings of tranny issues similar to the well documented camery tranny problems.
e) Photos of vehicle after a front end crash will raise a few eyebrows.

and finally........

f) The vehicle has a permanent, and irreparable defect.

HAHAHAHHAHAHA REPS FOR THAT! YelloThumbUp

The article says four trucks were eligible for evaluation this year so there must be some criteria that eliminated the others. Perhaps they just look at new designs so in that respect the results are kind of skewed in that the field was very limited. There is another article that pits all the usual suspects against one another. I personally have a problem with statements like
Still, handy features like the Tailgate Step, Box Side Step, a stowable bed-extender, and rear seats that fold up with one hand to reveal a broad, flat load floor help tally a strong superiority score. On the negative side of the ledger is Ford's aging all-V-8-engine lineup, which is composed of two- and three-valve 4.6-liters and a three-valve 5.4. SVT will bring a bigger 6.2 in the Raptor, and an EcoBoost V-6 is likely to join the lineup for folks who don't tow, but the diesel is on hold.

The base V-8 handily outruns and outhauls the V-6 Dodge, but sounds and feels strained doing so. Gearing that's a third shorter than the Dodge's kept our 5.4L 4x4 within 0.6 second of the big Dodge, but costs it at the pump, where both trucks averaged just 13.2 mpg over 500 miles of mixed driving. The new six-speed automatic features excellent tow/haul-mode programming (ordering downshifts with a tap of the brakes on downhill grades, holding lower gears, etc.), but in normal mode, it's lethargic to kick down, and there's no way to manually select the higher gears.

What exactly does "aging V8 lineup" mean? Averaging 13.2 mpg is good considering it is a pickup and I am sure it was not driven trying to maximize fuel economy. Dodge always puts up big numbers in the HP category. I think Ford designs a great truck first, I am sure that HP bumps for the 5.4L are soon to follow. I like the way Ford prioritizes the money spent on R & D.

I can't think of a truck I've been in that was automatic and had the ability to select higher gears.

That Ford is still pumping out engines based on an early-90's design.

Yeah but is there a truly better alternative? It works and works well so why screw with it? Toyota has a state of the art V-8. High tech = high dollar. To be competitive that engineering compromise will mean something else will be cheapened, at least that's how I see it.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
A "better alternative" depends on what you're trying to do. The Chevy/Dodge offerings have advantages over the Ford V8s, just as the Ford V8s have advantages over the Chevy/Dodge offerings.

And have you worked on a Toyota lately? They're parts are pretty cheap, just as their vehicles are, both in design and parts cost. Which is good, because the low cost makes up for the high effort of working on them.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I went a looked at a new f150 the other day and wow! very nice it really changed my mind after looking at them in side and out I think I might be in love with the 09s..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts