Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

06 van problems

I bought a new work truck for the guys to destroy . Its an 06 E250 with the 4.6 motor and automatic trans.
The ad said it ran and drove but had a check engine light on.. It was an auction so i questioned the seller and he said it would make the 50 mile ride home but it didn't
Here's the symptoms it starts and idles but you have a strong smell of gas it will not move more than 35 or so and it takes forever to get it going. It also feels like a misfire. the CEL is on and it spit out five codes the first two came up twice.. they are
P0174 system too lean Bank 2
P2197 O2 sensor stuck lean Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0430 Catalyst efficiency below threshold Bank 2

I did some research and i got some sarcasm from some of the guys at that other Ford site directed at an archived post there ( why i never go back to that site to actually log in)
Im thinking that i need to check the PCV and the hoses to it
Im also thinking catalytic Converter

Bank 2 which side is that? would this be the front or rear catalytic? is this the PCV with the electric connector on it or the one without? also should i be changing the 02 sensors and if so based on the codes where would they be?

Thanks in advance!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
ok ni didn't really hear a vacuum leak bit we did get a new PCV valve and installed it the old one was real oily and bad and we also read some stuff about that being a good culprit for the leak that I was having.. the hose was good the valve was ok... so I dropped the cats and they were hollow.. I left the one part of the cat pipe with the upstream o2 sensor on so we screwed that back on and I started the truck with no cats on the one side and the rear o2 disconnected and the first thing I felt was a blast of liquid on my leg which I figure was gas as the thing has a terrible smell of gas when I ran it before..after that the truck ran ok I popped it into gear and drove it up and down the driveway a couple of times and it took off ok so tomorrow im going to get a factory pipe and replace the downstream o2 sensor hopefully that is all

Ford Truck Articles