Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger 4.0L SOHC Tensioner, T-stat housing, etc replacement (graphic intensive)

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Thought I'd post a few pics of a project currently underway in hopes that it may help someone down the road. It started out as replacement of the thermostat housing, a common item to develop a leak on these engines, then in the name of reliability + longevity, I decided to replace the tensioners (think, access, this is the time to do the LH side), the RH valve cover gasket was replaced due to some seepage and *probably* the intake gaskets will be replaced. It's very much worth noting that on this application and contrary to the Ford FSM, the intake does NOT need to be removed in order to replace the LH tensionser, as will be seen below. Also, the idea here is NOT to create a detailed write up but rather, post up some reference pics and a few comments/pointers along the way. Comments will be below subject pic.

20170216_132121.jpg

Uggg, thermostat housing again.

20170303_142846.jpg

Removal of upper housing piece allows inspection which confirms it's the housing and not a seal.

20170303_150724.jpg

20170303_150740.jpg

20170303_150751.jpg

With the T-stat housing removed, it can be seen that access to the LH tensioner is a straight shot and can be accomplished using aand the appropriate length extension. Removal of the tensioner is next.

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
And.....more pics to follow.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Thanks guys, whittling away at it now, no particular deadline, just keep whittling away. On the old stuff, yeah, the bloat of the 60's-70's-80's and on some things, 90's made work easy. This thing, doing most anything sucks, I just snugged up the fasteners on the LH valve cover, the fasteners back at the firewall, they sucked, glad I had a good variety of extensions, swivels, an extension with an end that works like a swivel (those are really nice!). You ought to see the clamps around that thermostat housing, they really need to go together just one way and workspace is tight, I may get there tronight and I'll take a pic, it'll suck. While not a part of this project, I've got a really nice tool for removing hose clamps in tight spaces, one end is like one of those squeeze to work out your hand devices, the other end slips onto the ends of the clamp......squeeze the end in your hand, it ratchets and releases the hose clamp, thus saving you 30 minutes of time and a couple ounces of your body meat fighting a clamp.

I pity anyone that has to/had to replace the right side rear cassette and timing chain on one of these engines and in part because of this concern, this is why me and others replace the tensioners, think of it as routine maintenance. To get to that back cassette and timing chain, you get to yank the engine or *maybe* drop the tranny and slide the engine forward or tilt the back down. Either way, it'll suck. And if you don't index things before disassembly, you will probably need a special tool to index everything if what I've read (more than once in different places) is correct. Remember, the SOHC engines used on 4X4's have four timing chains, so if you need to get into it deep, enjoy.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Nice write up!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Good pictures. How many miles you got on that thing?

I pity anyone that has to/had to replace the right side rear cassette and timing chain on one of these engines and in part because of this concern, this is why me and others replace the tensioners, think of it as routine maintenance. To get to that back cassette and timing chain, you get to yank the engine or *maybe* drop the tranny and slide the engine forward or tilt the back down. Either way, it'll suck.

I've long figured (since before I bought it, in fact) replacement of a right timing chain cassette could be a repair that'll total my truck. Past 10 years or so years in road salt country, I don't think I'd bother with that much effort.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
128K. Other than running a quality oil with regular changes, IMO and given how easy the job and cheap is, if the only PM I were to do in the name of timing chains matters it would be to replace the RH tensioner. Some people say that if you hear timing chain noise (can be be pronounced on startup), that you might fix that with new tensioners. I"m sure that fix has worked for some, but I bet by the time it gets to that point there is some accelerated wear on the cassettes that isn't in anyone better interests.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Next few pics show RH valve cover reinstalled along with vac hoses, wiring, cooling system hoses and coolant tube assembly.

20170305_193543.jpg

20170306_183943.jpg

20170307_125223.jpghttp:

Next is installation of the upper and lower thermostat housing, hoses (pay attention to clamp locations) and associated parts along with alternatior wiring. It's worth noting that contrary to what the Ford FSM says regarding replacement of the two temperature sending units, removal of the intake is NOT required to gain access to replace these (each is held in by a clip, could be different if they are the threaded type).

20170307_124733.jpg

20170307_124848.jpg

20170307_154656_1_.jpg

***Pay attention to wire routing so as to not have future abrasion issues. Pics shown in this thread show OEM location and routing for all hoses, clamps and wiring, including spark plug wires.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles