Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hi from MN

Hi all, I've lurked and leeched knowledge from the forum for years.

This winter I picked up a 1953 F350, that I have neither the time nor money to work on ;-) It is rusty, has a couple dents, needs cab corners, all the glass is cracked, none of the electrical works, and the passenger door won't stay closed. Other than that it is perfect.

I'll spend some time trying to figure out what I have and probably fix the wiring mess a little. A 400 (so says the air cleaner) with a C6 (so says the 17 bolts on the tranny pan) was swapped into it at some point. When I got it, a rear brake was locked up and it wasn't turning over. A little rednecking and I had it running and moving, but I think the starter has a dead spot.

I'll probably go post in the 400 engine forum to see if anyone can help identify where the swap came out of, if for no other reason to at least buy a replacement starter.

Fellro

Staff member
351m/400 was common from late 70's early 80's pickups, earlier 70's would have been a car. You might get lucky and there is a date on the emission sticker on the driver side valve cover. Otherwise a bit more of a guess without casting or other identification numbers. Being a C6 mated up, has a better chance of being from a truck.

And btw, welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Fellro, thanks for the tip, unfortunately I couldn't find any stickers.

Fellro

Staff member
Count the valve cover bolts, hard to say for sure what motor it is as the air cleaner can be used on other motors as well. Nice to think it would be indicative, but can be deceiving.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Another way to tell if it's 351/400 family is the fuel pump. If the fuel pump bolts are vertically opposed(up-down rather than side by side), it is a 351M/400.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts