Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Alternator replacement for '89 F250 460 engine

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm want to replace my alternator, but it looks like there are SEVERAL choices. My alternator has one rectangular plug on the alternator at the 12:00 position with 4 wires. The truck is a XLT lariat with A/C, power windows, etc. I was told I would have to adapt the wiring to a replacement alternator. I don't know the amps of the alternator. Anyone have some insight?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Hold up on that doug. That's a 2g alternator, prone to setting our trucks on fire.
Get me some pics of your alternator, where it sits, brackets, bolts, etc, and I'll help you convert it over to 3g. We will put a better amp alternator on that is safe, and will probably out last the truck.

Next we'll convert the starter over to the modern high torque one that starts the truck faster than a fart stinks......

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you, Charlie. The heater hoses are in the way of getting a decent picture. I gave some misinformation. There are two plugs on the alt. One with 3 wires at 1:00 position in middle of alternator, and one plug at 3:00 -4:00 position on the side with 2 wires. If it's not too hot tomorrow, I'll pull the alt and grab some pics, both before pulling and after pulling. The sad part is, I just replaced the starter last year. I think it has 500 miles on it.
Thank you, Charlie!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Here is a half-assed picture of alternator, located on passenger side.

alternator.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ok, so looks like it's top and bottom mount. 180*.
Can you get a measurement or aproxament one from bottom bolt to top bolt? I'll take some pictures tomorrow of what I'm speaking.
Then I'll get you a parts list together. Can you solder an end on a wire?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Looks like my choices of alternator size are 7" or 8.25", center of bolt to center of bolt. The one I have is 7".

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ok. I'll work you up a parts list, and do a write up with pictures. Do you do eBay or Amazon?
Or would you want me to get the parts together and ship to you?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Btw. The truck I'll be doing the write up is my 90 f 250 with 5.8. Similar, you will get the idea

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
So here is similar to your setup. 3g has no fan behind the pulley.
You remove the charge harness all but the green/red tracer wire to the alternator. I have a picture of that back in my gallery, ill dig up when we get ready.
This alternator is one I had on hand and made work
5611ab8b5f39f7579b564e96587966ea.jpg
f49f60fc9e45374195535466cb724b01.jpg
47afcc081cb9341fb0a52269a90e7de0.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You need this style alternator, i only took this off the 4.9 because you can see it.
This is the wrong one
92a7f1f19f7abffb7640c626394a009d.jpg
3c4134ac0d716a9b326be785bca33845.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
This is a front mount bracket off a 460 like yours i didn't know i had, so I was able to compare it to the 94 centurion the 94 alternator will work
1a900957360ba8df49b598ca06b77494.jpg
e8f51f37df225798a67d16bc22014159.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
So this is most of the parts you need. I used the last alternator plug set on a parts truck to get it running, but can order new one pretty quick. I can build the setup and ship it to you for what I have in it if you want, or just list what you need.
I would be buying the alternator from rockauto.
231fa78134af3b89fa82e681f1bcb5ae.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I do both Ebay and Amazon. If you want to set me up with what I need, that would be great. Do you do paypal, so I can transfer money to you?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I do paypal.i'll order the harness piece I need, build the system
When I get done being upside down trying to drill this $%&*&ing stud out of this aluminum head I'll screen shot what alternator off rock auto to get and a discount.

I'll build the set up tomorrow order the harness for the alternator section today, so I should be able to ship it later in the week

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Upside down. Using mirror. Angle drill
c6e918bfb66d61b41ac9cdbf28fd1b96.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Lol. Got it drilled, tapped. Pump is on. Started raining. Tomorrow is another day.

Looked on rockauto go for 95 f 350 with 7.5 95 amp alternator, looks like 94 is 2g for some reason.
Go to local store like advance or auto zone, have them pull one so you can measure it.
If it's your proper mount measurement, and not to salty on price get it there, they have a warranty. That way we're not paying to ship it here, then to you.

This is the one on rockauto.
95 f 350
1c0e411bd7686bbeade910b7d6938cd5.jpg

Ordered the harness part I'm missing from Amazon today. As soon as it gets here I'll build your kit.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ordered this one. '95 F350 95 amp alt from Rock Auto.
1995 FORD F-350 7.5L V8
BBB INDUSTRIES 7758P57 (7758-P57) Alternator / Generator

The mounting looks correct.

Ford Truck Articles