Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

RV 4 down towing issue

Hello,
We had purchased a Ford 150 2018 crew-cab in pristine condition. We had it set for towing 4 down with our RV. We traveled from Denver to Tulsa, 3 days in Tulsa, then traveled to Jackson, MI. Brief stop then we were heading to St. Louis, MO. One hour south of St. Louis the truck started on fire. We lost the truck, totally destroyed. We want to purchase another as we REALLY like this truck but are a bit gun shy. Has anyone else experience a loss like this towing your F150 or was it a freak thing. The truck is to destroyed for the insurance company to determine cause. Does anyone have a guess. Like I said, we want to purchase another,loved the truck, but towing behind the RV is paramount. Thanks for your input.

Fellro

Staff member
I guess my first question is how did you set it up for towing with the wheels down. (I had to think a little about what you meant by 4 down) I tend to doubt a vehicle that new was a manual although there are still a few around, which means that the auto trans has to be protected from towing without the engine running supplying lube to the transmission. If 4wd, the transfer case in neutral sometimes will do, but not sure for extended trips like that. I have heard of electric pumps that will keep the lube going, but cannot verify such as I personally am not particularly familiar with towing in that fashion.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts