Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Alternator replacement for '89 F250 460 engine

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Cool. Looks like we're on the way to modernizing your truck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No problem. Glad to help. One day I'll need something you can help with

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Got the main part of the harness made up. Waiting on the alternator part. Amazon says shipped should be here by 23rd. Ebay says shipped should be here by 21'st.
Went to napa, advance, and autozone today they have the main plug but not the staitor plug, so we wait.
Sorry for the delay.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you. I'm in no hurry. Truck will probably sit for awhile. I generally don't use it unless I'm hauling cars or campers. My wallet shrinks just by looking at the truck!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Lol. These old girls need a little love now and then, but buying a new one to replace them will REALLY make the wallet shrink. AND you still have to maintain them

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
ef6b912f605379039d7f046b6b66d3db.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
All the parts are here. I will finalize the kit tomorrow. Near as I can tell the alternator on your truck is at the top just like my 94 I posted the picture of, so I will make it for that. It will be a little long for play, if too long you can cut and resolder 1 end.
At some point I will pm you for your adderess, I'll send it fedex if thats ok. Usps might not get there for a good while.......

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Had tapacrap turned off. Was really aggrevated from another forum. Real peaceful with the phone quiet. I'll look now, sorry for the delay

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sooooo. Tapacrap only let's me add pictures at the end, so I will try not to make it confusing

First, unhook the battery, you will blow up everything if you dont. That's my disclaimer.

The alternator wiring needs to be unhooked at the alternator and fished out, unfastened all the way back to the solenoid..

Inside that harness there is a green wire, red tracer. That needs to be separated from the harness, nipped off at the alternator side

Unhook the 2 black wires orange tracer with fusible link from the solenoid. Leave the green red tracer wire.
a4835d2f3b276b5ac0b90b08abd1fd36.jpg
131af973078ab7decae1d63f9d6c21fe.jpg
6462db6613a6b4eec9491f2417b8aac1.jpg
2af77e75baddd5c1e230a3c8f75d8a10.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Mount your fuse, main wire from solenoid to fuse
Take the green red tracer wire and run it into the wire you instal out of the bottom of the fuse in the jacket. Use the supplied zip ties to make the wire semi permanent
Word of caution make dam sure the jack and parts work where you mount the fuse. I still can hear some cussing there.....

I have marked the wires with tape
3e70c5c08c0ccaf93219ab1bcd20836a.jpg
a770dccd2fca7e1f4596c07a85223f5c.jpg
6d922f19eff3bcdd3efc085c526e85c3.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Connect the harness, solder the 2 green red tracer wires together. I provided a piece of heat shrink for that solder joint

Make sure to put the yellow wire on top of the large red wire on the back.
The green red tracer is key on to excite the alternator on /off. It also is your gauge and battery trouble light
039045c37cf4c54be6c7233d7aabde0a.jpg
94742f6d37b059403d32e9d357781ec7.jpg
16e9d66d68a7ddb2f3faee30728511df.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
So your box of goodies will be on the way sometime tomorrow fedex

Btw, if you don't like the fuse holder blame it on Dunkin
He's the one who picked those out for me when I could no longer get the origional ones.

Future use i am currently working on a Ford generator to 3g alternator conversion, and a Ford alternator voltage regulator (1g to 3g) conversion.

This conversion is 2g to 3g

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Only if you cut the zip ties off before you take the picture to post for doc

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
What is EOD?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Seems pretty straightforward. You might be getting some questions. Thanks again!
Ends are marked, should be simple for you. Ill pm you my phone # in case you need help.
Just keep talking if dunkin answers and pretend its me
bcdc7917b136be7fc5e7c6833a0a3f9a.jpg

Ford Truck Articles