Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Where'd my 400 come from?

I posted this in my intro message, but thought I should start a thread here.

This winter, I bought a 1953 F350 that someone had swapped a 400 into. I've never owned something with a swapped engine but I was thinking if I could find what the donor vehicle was it would make it a lot easier to buy the little parts.

It wouldn't start when I picked it up, but I tracked down some shorted wires, replaced a bad starter relay, and got it to actually run. I still think the starter has a dead spot, I was underneath checking it and I had voltage and a little gentle "encouragement" made it turn over.

I think it is a 400 (so says the air cleaner) with a C6 (so says the 17 bolts on the tranny pan). But I'm just going off the lies on the internet.

I plan on trying to find the casting date based on an article at tmeyerinc website. (Maybe someday I'll have a fancy engine like they do, they are only a couple hours away from me).

From what I have read so far, it looks like there could be a several different transmissions and flywheels with different tooth counts. Does the flywheel tooth count correlate to the tranny?

I've been trying to poke around on rockauto and summit but I'm having trouble figuring out the next thing to check to narrow down my search.

Thanks to all the posters on the forums, there are some great reads and information...some even in the same threads smilietease

I think it reads D1AE-A1C

53_casting_code.jpg

So if I am reading that right per some google results, it is a 71 for a full size car (Do you think it was specifically a Galaxie for this year or just the generic A?)

Fellro

Staff member
Can't get much better info than from there. Generally the balance of the motor (or rather imbalance) and diameter of the flywheel dictate the type flexplate you need. Transmission does not drive that.

Ford Truck Articles