Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Garage and Tool Zone

Garage and Tool Zone Tool discussion, or anything pertaining to your garage.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Yessir -- my box is aluminum -- as are MOST of the diamond plate boxes I've come across.

If you're going to fabricate your own -- I think it would be cool to make a box very similar to the one you posted above, but extend the width to as wide as the whole bed, and use the extra space added for the misc fluids/jack/cables/etc. So it would be just like the one you posted except with an extension on the side

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Kansas Chapter Leader

jjlogue3 is on a distinguished road
Why do you want it ito be steel?
33'BFG ATs
16"x10" Dick Cepek DC1s

GALLERY

COME VISIT US IN THE
KANSAS CHAPTER

Old 06-30-2008, 03:06 PM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlogue3 View Post
Why do you want it ito be steel?
So I can paint it. I have never had any success painting aluminum. It always peels down the road.

I know it sounds dumb...and I doubt I can do it (no skill), but I would love to paint it wood grain to match the bed wood. I know I can paint it body color if I have to.

I really like the sloped design of the portable box, if it were wider.

If I do end up making one...I think I would just use smooth steel.

The shop uses the deck plate, but thin stuff it extremely rare. I only remember using it once in all the years I worked there. I believe 1/4" (or thicker) might be abit much for a tool box.

The next group of stripper should be ready now...back out to scrape.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Kansas Chapter Leader

jjlogue3 is on a distinguished road
What if you line the aluminum box with wood and just have cutouts for the handles????? That would look cool!!!!
33'BFG ATs
16"x10" Dick Cepek DC1s

GALLERY

COME VISIT US IN THE
KANSAS CHAPTER

Old 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlogue3 View Post
What if you line the aluminum box with wood and just have cutouts for the handles????? That would look cool!!!!
You know...I actually saw something similar at the 2006 F-100 Supernationals in Knoxville, TN.

A guy had a junk yard 56 with a viper V10, 6 speed, AC, Cruise, Tilt, etc.

Everything on the truck worked. It was totally street legal and had passed the NY state inspection. It even had new tires.

It looked horrible (cracked windows and all), but one of the fastest trucks there (other than pro street or drag trucks).

In the back it looked like he threw an old packing crate in there (screwed on pad lock and all). Inside the so called packing crate was a brand new shiny aluminum tool box. I about cracked up when I saw him open it.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 AM

Danny is on a distinguished road
I was wondering what other modern tool box you got on your f150. I am planning to install an under swing case wheel well tool box kit since it looks a perfect fit on my wheel well. I think this will save space on my truck bed. Can I get some recommendations? https://auto-truck-accessories.com/wheel-well-tool-box/