Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Shocks & Steering Stabilizer (Bilstein Brand)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I have been a fan of Bilstein brand shocks since my OEM's went out at 50,000 miles or so.

50,000 miles:
I put on new front and rear Bilstein shocks anf the ride was like and day.

110,000 miles:
Bilstein's warrenty department replaced the fronts for free and their C/S was great (Bilstein's have lifetime warrenty).

204,000 miles:
My front shocks have gone out and again I called. I also suspect that my rears (150,000 miles on them) have worn out. Again Bilstein's C/S was great and they are sending me 4 new shocks (they charge your credit card and then refund the money if found to be defective - only fair).

Previously, I had used a Rancho brand steering stabilizer due to Bilstein not having one a few year's back. Rancho's warrenty states they have a lifetime warrenty... but it is anything my customer friendly!!! My steering stabilizer has leaked and my local truck shop where I bought called Rancho and here is what I have to do:

1) Pay for new steering stabilizer

2) Dealer will send to distributor and then await for Rancho rep to make his next visit to look at it.

3) If defective, then credit will be given... could be 4 5 weeks if found to be defective

I chosen to NOT use Rancho and go with the Bilstein front/steering stabilizer that they now make. Their quality is better as is the customer-service.

The best pricing and fast delivery was from www.eshocks.com. Their website is also very informative.

Hopefully in 1 week I will have 4 new shocks direct from Bilstein and 1 new Bilstein steering stabilizer from eshocks.com (this is also where I bought my first set of Bilsteins years back).

This post is for those that ask... "what brand of shocks to buy"... and the answer is BILSTEINS and only BILSTEINS!!!!!!!

Remember:
Quality, quality, quality.... and great customer-service!!!!!!

you should get a gift from Bilstein for all that advertisement :)

sounds like he's gettin' about 4, lol
seriously though, think I'm gonna look into some of these...

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
you should get a gift from Bilstein for all that advertisement :)

What they got was more business from me... I bought their streering stabilizer for $75.00 + shipping instead of buying another Rancho one.

I am sure the Bilstein is better quality anyways (along with C/S)... so for an extra $20.00, I went with the Bilstein stabilizer (to go along with the shocks I already use).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
sounds like he's gettin' about 4, lol
seriously though, think I'm gonna look into some of these...

Bilstein is the OEM supplier to many brands (Mercedes comes to mind), trucks and RV's.

Their website is very informative.

They have a lifetime warrenty for th truck they were bought for and so far, they have stood behind their warrenty... and boy, do they stiffen up the ride of our large and heavy trucks.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Since installing new Bilstein shocks and a new steering stabilizer it sure makes a huge difference. Ride is siffer and controlled but not harsh... and yes, there is a difference between "controlled and "harsh".

I am now interested in adding a Hellwig sway bar in the rear... not sure way or if I need it... but for the money, it looks like an inexpensive bolt-on mod to reduce body-roll?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I always debated whether you should put an anti-sway bar in the front or back if you are only installing a single bar. They do wonders for keeping both wheels firmly on the ground (especially when cornering & accelerating).

Ryan

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The Excursion has a front sway bar already. The Hellwig is just a larger diameter one.... but I am not going to spend the money for it.... I will just stay with stock.

There is no rear one... so that is what makes me wonder if I need or want one... and it just bolts on?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts