Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Tips, Tricks and References

Hello again fellas. When I head out to work on one of my rigs, I'm always worried about what little things I didn't think about that will jump up and bite me in the butt. So I always find it useful to search sites like this one for guys who have done the same job before but have hands on experience to tell me what to watch out for. So I am trying to compile a list of things that are easily enough overlooked, but can seriously help save time and money. I do apologize in adavance if this is redundant for some of you gurus, but I think it may help. So here it goes:

First and foremost, when looking at a vehicle and trying to determine what engine it has, count the valve cover bolts:

302/351W= 6 VC bolts
351M/400= 8 VC bolts
360/390= 5 VC bolts
429/460= 7 VC bolts

When searching for that front D60, and you can't determine visually:

I believe the diff cover on the front D44 has 1/2" bolts, while the D60 has 9/16"

When removing emblems:

I use 20lb test fishing line. Just get it behind the emblem and pull a little at a time. Using the fishing line instead of just popping it off with a screwdriver definitely saves the paint.

When looking for engine building advice:

Go to Bubba's M Block page. It has been archived here:
http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/pag...orkshop?t=anon

When replacing a heater core, reference this link:

http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/heater/index.htm

Books you should have:
-Year specific shop manuals for your truck
-Haynes and/or Chiltons manual
-Tom Monroe: How build a Ford V8

Parts Resources:
New Parts-
JBG
Dennis Carpenter
O'Reilly's Autoparts (when time is of the essence)

Old Parts-
Pick-n-Pull of your choice
ebay
craigslist

Whenever in the process of disassembly, be sure to take LOTS of pictures.

If planning on reusing fasteners, clips, etc. be sure to put them in a baggy and a detailed label.

Now I know there is lots more, and that list isn't really all that 'techy' but that's all I could really think of off the top of my head. I hope this spawns some interest and can really help some guys out.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
I found one more helpful source, that member ranger429 compiled of trim level differences, and it also has the location of the VIN on the frame. Again this is not my list, ranger429 put the list together, and since he's a member of this site, I don't think he'll mind me posting a link to it. It's post #1 in this link:

http://7879blueovalbronco.mybb3.org/...1e5e2bd45c94d4

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Ben
Old 01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Still Da Man

Mil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond repute
The Steering Coupler Bolt is a 12 point ,11mm or 7/16" Bolt .

The pwr steering box adjustment should never be made without first making the the proper test and use the proper tools.

78-79 NSS's are prone to going bad from road filth (cleaning can be performed) before replacing.

A/T ..Tilt steering columns are different from F-series to E-series due to shaft length,although some parts are interchangeable.

Trucks with Speed Control require special parts.

I speak in "Straight Talk" Deal with it.

Click for Red Deer, Alberta Forecast
Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
To add to the places for buying new parts:

-RockAuto.com (these guys often have Motorcraft parts, and if not they have higher-quality parts that are comparable to OEM... and FANTASTIC prices)
-Our sponsor! Ed has a banner at the top of this page where you can buy Motorcraft parts at a discount. If you're using an ad-blocker, here's the link:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=215005

Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
Great post Ben
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
Great post Ben

Thanks man

Another tip that came to mind that Bill (BKW) told me was...when ordering driver's side bedsides, be sure to get the proper gas tank openings...ie dual doors, single doors, round neck, or no openings.

Quote:
Inspired by Ian

Ben
Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 AM
'77 F-250 Custom 4x4

1973 F-100 4x4 has a spectacular aura about1973 F-100 4x4 has a spectacular aura about1973 F-100 4x4 has a spectacular aura about
Lots of useful information there!
Thanks for posting it, as I can use most of it for my current vehicle projects.
(Current projects: '77 F-250 4x4 Custom and '73 F-100 4x4 Custom)
Old 01-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

Just thought of another quick tip...although I hate LMC products, they usually do a pretty good job at exploded view diagrams...anything from engine compartment doo-hickeys to dash doo-dads to mounting bolts for the bed.

Quote:
Inspired by Ian

Ben
Old 01-10-2009, 01:43 AM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post
Just thought of another quick tip...although I hate LMC products.
Aahh come one man you know you want to buy a engine kit from them top notch
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
Ive heard there body panels are no more than .5 millimeters off from spec.

By millimieters i REALLY mean yards.

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don