Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 PM

adubu is on a distinguished road
trans 4x4 conversion

i have 2 87 f150's one with a straight 6 with 4 speed man. 4x4. the other with 302 v8 with e4od automatic 2x4. i want to take the transmission from the 6 cylinder and put it on the v8 is that possible to just bolt on or is the bolt pattern diffrent?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
The bolt pattern is the same but the output shaft at the rear of the transmission is different. The only way to make it work is to take apart the transmission and change the output shaft. I don't know much about that conversion so it's probably much more complicated than that-- but from what I've heard it is WAY too much work to convert a transmission between 4x4 and 4x2.

You're better off buying another that is already 4x2.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Master Junk Tech

95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold
So you want to put the manual trans into the 2wd? You have to find the end peice of a 2wd manual case so it converts urs to it. It would be hack but you might be able to put the trans in and leave the tcase on and just get a shaft to fit. You wouldnt attach a front shaft to it lol.

1991 Grand Marquis
5.0L, 302ci, AOD, 83k, Sittin on Bullitts

1999 F250SD XLT 4x4
6.8L, 413ci, 4R100, 37's

1999 F350SD XLT 4x4
7.3L, 445ci, 4R100, 35's

2003 Lincoln Town Car Executive
4.6L, 281ci, 4R70W, "High Class"

2003 Mustang Cobra
4.6L, 281ci, Supercharged DOHC, T56
"Terminator"

2005 Suzuki GSXR750
Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 PM
PA Chapter leader

Lost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really nice
Like above the tail shafts r different . If you know where to get on go for it .

94 F150 302 MAf E4od sc long bed 4x4 3:55 LS rears
9MM Ford racing wires MSD cap & rotor and Blaster coil coil . 14-15 MPG Thanks

95 F150 300-6 auto 4x4 8 ft bed barney mobile (yep its purple) . 1 ton front coil and f260 rear leaf suspension Its the plow/firewood truck
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
The problem with swapping the tailshafts, it that is is about the last piece to come out of a transmission and the first to go back in. A lot of work, but it is the best time to rebuild everything.

Most of the time, people would rather just find the correct trans and bolt it in. Depends on if you can find a junk one to get the tailshaft and tailhousing from. There again...you are finding the one that would bolt in anyway, taking it almost completely apart, so why not just rebuild that one?

See what I mean?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM
PA Chapter leader

Lost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really nice
Also might need another flywheel . I have no clue about older 4 spds.

94 F150 302 MAf E4od sc long bed 4x4 3:55 LS rears
9MM Ford racing wires MSD cap & rotor and Blaster coil coil . 14-15 MPG Thanks

95 F150 300-6 auto 4x4 8 ft bed barney mobile (yep its purple) . 1 ton front coil and f260 rear leaf suspension Its the plow/firewood truck
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 PM

Raptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond repute
Just keep the straight six how it is, its a much better motor than the 302 IMHO. Especially since its a 4x4, thats an awesome truck. Does it have LS? That 4speed with the granny gear will wheel like crazy.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:29 PM

adubu is on a distinguished road
thanks guys. the 4x4 is pretty much rotted away about 90% rust. the 2x4 is in mint condition thats why i want to cconvert it.the front end pretty much bolts in to all existing hardware. now im wondering if i can just swap the t case. it seems if i remove the extinsion housing from the 2x4 the t case should bolt up in its place on the automatic trans. i will get some pics up here asap. thanks for your input
Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
If you remove the extension housing the tcase will NOT bolt in place. The output shaft on the transmission is different between a 4x2 and a 4x4. You WILL NOT make it work unless you change that output shaft.

You could install the transmission and the tcase onto the 4x2 and then just not attach a front driveshaft... But then you'll be turning the internals on the tcase for no good reason.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 PM

Raptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor22 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandocious View Post
If you remove the extension housing the tcase will NOT bolt in place. The output shaft on the transmission is different between a 4x2 and a 4x4. You WILL NOT make it work unless you change that output shaft.

You could install the transmission and the tcase onto the 4x2 and then just not attach a front driveshaft... But then you'll be turning the internals on the tcase for no good reason.
Even if the Tcase is in 2wd?