Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > General Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

General Automotive Technical Catch-All

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Help with a part number?

So I tried contacting Bill (bkw) the master of part numbers but he's not answering my PM... Haven't seen him on the site in a while either, hopefully he's okay.

Anyways... I've been wanting to swap my 95amp for a 130amp alternator. The 130amp can be found in Taurus', Explorers, Powerstrokes, etc.

So here's the strange thing... For these alternators there were 3 different mounting styles:

Now my truck is SUPPOSED to have a pivot mount, but it has a side mount alternator. So I looked into it, and the side mount is the one used in powerstrokes, and I happen to know that the powerstroke does not use a 95amp alternator. So I grabbed the part number off the voltage regulator (the only part number anywhere on the alternator) and headed over to google. And came up with jack Here's the part number:

F5DU-10316-AA

From what I've read-- the first 4 characters just indicate when/where it was made, while the remainder is what actually constitutes which part it is. The best lead that I found was on TheDieselStop where a guy with a PSD says his alternator went bad, same part number as mine. But he never indicates whether or not it's stock, what the amperage is, etc.

(5th post down) http://www.thedieselstop.com/archive...& fpart=1.htm

Anyways, I'm curious what the hell this thing is!! 130amp or 95amp? Doesn't make sense for it to be 130amp since they didn't use them in F150s and I don't have a record of it being changed (prev owner gave me records for every last spark plug).

Can anyone help?

Last edited by Skandocious : 10-10-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2008, 12:43 AM

Chrono558 has a spectacular aura aboutChrono558 has a spectacular aura about
Chances are it is a 95 amp. Mine is a side mount the same as yours and not only will side mount alternators from a powerstroke work but also alternators from 3.0L/4.0L Rangers and 4.2L V6 engines are a side-mount style as well. I'm sure there's a way to find out the amperage (whether 95 or 130) from the case/voltage regulator but I'm not sure how to tell.

I will say this as an option. I had gotten a "130 amp" rebuilt alternator off of ebay that came from a 99 Ranger and put it on my truck along with a bigger charge cable with in-line fuse. It worked pretty well for a few weeks till it started squealing real bad. By bad I mean I had dogs howling at my truck as I drove by bad. So I put the old one back in and took the "rebuilt" to a shop to have taken apart to see what was wrong. Long story short it tested as a 95amp, the ground points inside the case were painted over, and... it had a chevy bearing in it that was the source of the squeal.

The guy who had it went ahead and fixed everything on it and essentially rebuilt it the right way. He told me when he rebuilt the alternator he used all new parts and bench tested it before he gave it back. Long story short for $40 I now own a 200amp alternator. Until I get a bigger charge cable and bigger mega fuse it's not going back in just to be safe.

Ok I ranted a little off topic but if you can find a starter/alternator shop in your area you might just ask them how much to rebuild it and see if the price is right. OR... you could send yours to me and I'll have the same guy rebuild it that rebuilt mine.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I wouldn't buy an eBay special, for exactly that reason. I'm looking at getting one from a junker and removing the regulator to check the accumulator before I leave the lot (as per Robert's advice).

As for your 200amp alternator... You might want to rethink using it. I'm no expert on the subject, but I just read this last night:

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=33

That site is owned by the same guy that operates FordFuelInjection.com, which is an extremely reputable Ford information website. I'm not saying he knows everything, but I do read very closely when I'm reading on his sites.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:11 AM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
Bill appears to be fine (he posted today...err..umm....yesterday elsewhere). He does not usually turn on his E-mail or PMs on any site. He gets buried daily, if he does. I think you can see how that would happen.

He does not usually just cruise this forum...mostly the older ones around here.

I do have his personal E-mail address. I try not to bug him too much. (laughing).

If you can't solve this in a day or two...remind me and I will contact him for you. I am very forgfetful in my old age (getting older every day).

Old 10-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Hey Brian I'm actually planning on going to the junkyard tomorrow morning so I know it's short notice but perhaps he could respond before I leave tomorrow and let me know. Would you mind emailing him and linking to this thread?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:19 AM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
Well...gee. Give me (and him) some advance notice why don't you! (laughing). I will attempt to contact him, but who knows when he will check his mail.

E-mail sent. Just have to have patience now.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Ford Truck Fanatic Administrator

Admin

slmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond repute
might be a little late for this but you can try FTF/PARTS-GUY too. He may be able to get you the part number.

2010 F-150 STX 4X4
VOTE FOR FTF

Old 10-11-2008, 09:55 AM
blank

I stand corrected again (by Bill), his PMs are not turned off over here.

He also thinks that you can E-mail him over here. He will check.

Chris: He received the message from you. I quote:

Quote:
all I got from that was the alternator regulator engineering ID number, which isn't any help.
You might check with Dennis or someone and see what they can find.

Personally, I have only replaced one alternator in my life. Two if you count one of the totalled cars that the case was cracked on. Both were stock replacements.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Why is bill so angry with me? Couldn't even respond to my pm?

Old 10-11-2008, 01:45 PM

Bricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond reputeBricks has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know if it's so any more, but the p/n's for Ford alternators used to be stamped into the side of the case.

You would have the p/n followed by (for example) 55a - meaning 55amp.
NHRDA #4698
06 King Ranch CC 4x4 6.0 Snug-Top Cap BedRug Ravelco
94 F350xl CC 7.5 Lumber Rack, a couple of dents and lots of miles