Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 2-3
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generations 2-3 19531960 F100, F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 AM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
9" open to limited slip?

Hello,

This is way, way down the line, but.... (this forum needs something)

I swapped some junk ch**y parts for a ford 9" to go in my 56. I can't go pick it up until the truck is drivable again (catch 22?). I don't know the exact year it came out of. It is supposed to be 3.50 gears (is that even offered in a ford?). I thought ford had a 3.73...but what do I know.

A guy dad works with (I have gotten a lot of parts from him ), tried it under a later truck and it was too narrow. He swapped it out with a later (wider) 9" and put his 4.10 gears in the newer one.

Anyway, it is basically a bolt in because it is from an early F-100. They got wider about 72 (or so).

It is an open carrier. Is there an inexpensive way to change that to a limited slip (or whatever ford calls it)? I looked around the net (places like hotrodders) and could not find the information.

thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B View Post
Hello,

This is way, way down the line, but.... (this forum needs something)

I swapped some junk ch**y parts for a ford 9" to go in my 56. I can't go pick it up until the truck is drivable again (catch 22?). I don't know the exact year it came out of. It is supposed to be 3.50 gears (is that even offered in a ford?). I thought ford had a 3.73...but what do I know.

A guy dad works with (I have gotten a lot of parts from him ), tried it under a later truck and it was too narrow. He swapped it out with a later (wider) 9" and put his 4.10 gears in the newer one.

Anyway, it is basically a bolt in because it is from an early F-100. They got wider about 72 (or so).

It is an open carrier. Is there an inexpensive way to change that to a limited slip (or whatever ford calls it)? I looked around the net (places like hotrodders) and could not find the information. thanks,Brian
The rear ends widened in 1973, and Ford used to sell a kit (B9AZ-4880-A) to convert to Limited Slip. Whether Ford sells the kit anymore, I dunno...but someone must. The 3.50-1 ratio~(C9OZ-4209-A) is correct.

2013 Escape SE FWD
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 AM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
What is involved in the installation of this "kit"? Is it something that I can do in my driveway with hand tools or does it need too be taken to a shop with special equipment?

I have never been inside a rear end housing.

I assume this is not a spool. I know there are what they call "lunch box lockers" for the 8.8 that can be put in at home fairly easily.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B View Post
What is involved in the installation of this "kit"? Is it something that I can do in my driveway with hand tools or does it need too be taken to a shop with special equipment?

I have never been inside a rear end housing.

I assume this is not a spool. I know there are what they call "lunch box lockers" for the 8.8 that can be put in at home fairly easily.
This is a job for a professional, because the rear end has to come apart to install the LS kit, and the lash has to be re-set when it goes together. All the bearings should be replaced while the rear end is apart, as well as the parts needed to reset the lash. Want all the parts numbers? Let me know.

2013 Escape SE FWD
Old 04-18-2007, 03:28 AM
blank

No...thats ok. I appreciate the information. It will definately stay open.

Money is too tight (with my medical bils) to pay somone to do anything to this truck. If anything ever gets done...it will be me doing it. Mechanical, body, paint, etc.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:15 AM

bowtiehatr is a jewel in the roughbowtiehatr is a jewel in the roughbowtiehatr is a jewel in the roughbowtiehatr is a jewel in the rough
bkw, do you know if the kit is still available?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Ford Parts Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiehatr View Post
bkw, do you know if the kit is still available?
Not from Ford, because there haven't been 9 inch rear axles for years...Ford found something cheaper, but in no way as good: the 8.8.

The kit may be available aftermarket, but, sorry dunno.

2013 Escape SE FWD
Old 04-18-2007, 08:03 PM

bowtiehatr is a jewel in the roughbowtiehatr is a jewel in the roughbowtiehatr is a jewel in the roughbowtiehatr is a jewel in the rough
well i am a ford tech so i may be able to track one down. im working on my fsb and havnt torn into the rear yet so i am looking for ls options.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Ford Parts Guru

Good luck, they have been obsolete for over 30 years. The last one I sold was prolly in the early 70's. The clutches (4945/4947) are still available. That's about it.

2013 Escape SE FWD
Old 04-19-2007, 02:24 AM
blank

Fast parts network (ford parts network), does not list that part number. I looked just to see. LOL