Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 06-27-2020, 07:50 PM

fordgirl is on a distinguished road
Water pump and timing chain cover

1995 f150 5.8L 259k

Hey guys! I bite the bullet and started tearing things apart to get to the timing chain cover gasket coolant leak I have had for a while. I have some questions about parts:
-I already replaced the water pump 3 years ago, so itís rather new, but itís from rock auto. It looks good and I think I could re-gasket it and it would be fine, but for how long? Should I just replace it while Iím in there? If so, should I go with a better part, maybe from NAPA?
-All the long bolts are pretty corroded and pitted in the straight non thread parts. I cleaned them all up, but should I just get new ones? Iím worried the thread of brand new bolts could lead to more problems, if I could even find the right ones.
-The timing chain cover has a small line on the inside, possible hairline crack. When I rub my fingernail over it, you can definitely feel it. Should I still reuse it or just buy a new one so I donít have to worry about it cracking and leaking on me later? It is not currently leaking at the line and it doesnít show to the outside.
-Lastly, should I do anything with the double roller chains while Iím this deep? I donít really want to and they look fine. I plan to do an engine rebuild at some point, so if they could just last until then...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2020, 07:58 PM

heavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to behold
I don't know much about the gas engine side of things, but maybe @dustybumpers will be along shortly and can give you some good advice
20 Kenworth T270

"DOC"
Old 06-27-2020, 08:11 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
There is a bolt kit for this, I recommend it.save the short bolts out of the top of your set from the water pump, they aren't included. Wire brush will clean them up Tap all the holes in the block. That gives you a nice good start.
I would replace the timing cover. Dont take a chance on cracks.

If you take your fingers in the center of the gears on the chain, and squeeze together, and both sides move towards each other more than 1/2 " replace the chain.

Simple job when down as far as you are.
Put the damper bolt back in the end of the crank, turn the engine over by hand until the dots in the 2 gears line up. Take the damper bolt out, take the bolts out of the cam gear, remove the chain and gears, put the new one back in.

As far as the water pump, the gasket kit comes with the gaskets, take it open, inspect the impeller, feel the bearing ,if you think you can trust it reuse it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by dustybumpers; 06-27-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Did you replace the fan clutch when you replaced the water pump? A worn fan clutch can also make short life of a water pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 06-27-2020, 09:27 PM

Ok, so I’m looking at new bolts and cover!

I haven’t replaced the fan clutch, but I will check it out.

Now for the easy question, do you put rtv on the oil pan seal? The half circle that mates on to the timing chain cover. I know you put rtv in the corner where that seal meets the corner seals, but do you rtv the semi circle seal like you do the other gaskets?

Thanks!!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:53 AM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Your going to get 2 small pieces of cork gasket for the pan too, that goes on the timing cover.
I use a thin bead weather strip cement in the timing cover where the rubber goes. Put the rubber in, then put a thin layer perm a gasket on the rubber and the pan.
Just to make sure nothing leaks.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:14 AM

Timing chain play

Thanks dustybumpers!!

Also I took another look at the chain, itís hard for me to quantify, but I got a helper and took a video. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/bQxSNWTsmZc
Old 06-28-2020, 08:53 AM

heavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to behold
In my opinion it should be replaced while you are there at it. It does appear to be a little more slack than I'm used to seeing. But you know 6 of one half dozen of another
20 Kenworth T270

"DOC"
Old 06-28-2020, 10:10 AM
don't play well w others

I would replace it to be honest.
That's pretty good wear. Could go for a while longer, BUT why take a chance of it jumping a tooth or 2, then you have to tear it down again.

I think rockauto has one for like $20

Old 06-28-2020, 02:48 PM

Ok, looks like the rock auto “heavy duty” is an exact replacement, I’ll replace chain too.

Also, just realizing the difference between standard and reverse rotation... I have a smooth pulley and the reverse coolant passages on the cover, so I'm pretty sure I'm reverse. The last water pump I put on was GATES 43057 from Rock Auto and it says it’s standard...have I had the wrong water pump on for 3 years?!!