Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Heater core replacement

So i am replacing my heater core (no a/c standard output) and noticed that the previous one had cardboard wedged between the heater core and the heater box. Not blocking the fins but on top and bottom to keep it from sitting loosely in there.

So my questions is what is normally used to achieve a snug fit? I would hate to have it rattling around in there. My new one also fits loosely. Should i just use cardboard again?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The original was held in with a type of foam tape similar to a weather strip tape found at local hardware stores.

Hmm. I asked about that foam with tape backing at autozone and they said they didnt sell it. Ill see what i can find then.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The original was held in with a type of foam tape similar to a weather strip tape found at local hardware stores.
And then Ford replaced the heater core in 1983 with one that had different dimensions than the 1973/79 original.

You also had to buy a mounting kit that consisted of thicker foam rubber so the damn thing would fit properly.

The replacement heater core is available from auto parts stores, but the kit is obsolete from Ford and was never sold by parts stores.

And even though the replacement has a 1983 part number, this heater core was not used after 1979!

Ford Truck Articles