Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Garage and Tool Zone

Garage and Tool Zone Tool discussion, or anything pertaining to your garage.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:57 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Poison Ivy on Tools Removal?

Was hoping some of yall could help with this.. last weekend i apparently wrapped my tow chain around a tree covered in poison ivy ( i really need to learn how to recognize that stuff) when i was doing some winching. So now i need to know how i can get the ivy oil off the chain. Can yall give me some easy to find product names or even links to the products i can find at like Lowes, HD, or just general stores i can get to clean that chain off with? I plan to soak it in WD-40 when im done before putting it away.. i just need to get that ivy oil off before i forget its on there.. ive already tried looking online and all anyone says is use an emalso something which i have no clue what the heck theyre talking about.. (sorry didnt take chemistry)

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 05:14 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
We just use a bucket of hot water and dawn dish soap. Soak and slush the chain in it. Then rinse with rubbing alcohol.
Any deGreaser should work. You may want to put on rubber gloves to do this.
Randy
Old 04-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
rubber gloves was in the plans for sure..

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
I'm one if the luck ones that it doesn't effect. My Dad if he walks near it seems to get a rash.
Randy
Old 04-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Virginia Chapter member

my dad use to be able to handle it without issues... but he got into a big patch of it once and broke out.. ever since now if he gets into it he will break out... i dunno if it doesnt effect me or not... i just dont want to take the chance...

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I'd second dish soap. The irritant from poison ivy is just an oil. And remember if you get it on you if you wash it off right away with soap and warm water you'll usually avoid a rash. Some people are hyper sensitive to it of course but I saved myself a couple times by washing right away

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
Ditto on the dish soap.

Worst rash I ever saw was when my dad walked through the smoke from a fire where someone had thrown in some poison ivy. Covered him everywhere the smoke touched him.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 04-06-2018, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperrc View Post
Ditto on the dish soap.

Worst rash I ever saw was when my dad walked through the smoke from a fire where someone had thrown in some poison ivy. Covered him everywhere the smoke touched him.
The smoke poses a pretty severe respiratory hazard as well for the same reason

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Virginia Chapter member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperrc View Post
Ditto on the dish soap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCab View Post
The smoke poses a pretty severe respiratory hazard as well for the same reason
that one i actually did know for sure...

I was always told to look for the leaves but still cant tell them apart from weeds.. so i was looking for that when i went to find a place to attach the chain for the snatch block to. but didnt "see" any leaves other than on some thorny vines.. i ended up finding a tree that had fury vines that looked like the ones on these trees..

but since i was never told to look out for it - it wasnt until i went to retreive the chain someone said "hey!! yo do know thats poison ivy your chains wrapped around there right??"

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 04-06-2018, 09:08 AM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

That sure looks like a ivy vine.
Randy