Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Body Work and Paint

Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question for Paint & Body Guru's

Got a question for you paint and body Guru's.. im getting tired of buffing/polishing some of the chrome items on my truck.. and i dont like the idea of just painting it black. is there a paint out there that can give the shiny appearance of chrome/mirror stainless but that can resist the elements better?

I still want the shiny look but not have to constantly clean off the rust and re-polish. (think they used cheap chrome to coat it with)

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
About all you can do, is clean it off, and clear coat it , unless you want to remove it, take it to bare metal, ship it away, and have it re-chromed
Old 02-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
darn... found some kits out there that can let you chrome at home... dunno how well they work... but is a hefty investment for sure..

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 02-10-2018, 05:38 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
DON'T waste your money
Unless you have a big tank, and can acid etch, then nickel plate before you chrome plate (all 3 are illegal in Va) you are wasting your time

You can still get some quality chrome plating done in De, but you better hurry, the environmental impact is making that to be a short lived service there too

Couldn't find one for the place in De i used to use, maybe they're gone.... sad.
This one is in Texas. same process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPBxSaYxx2w
Old 02-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Virginia Chapter member

i wasnt gonna spend the $1000 to get the kits either... plus you still had to buy the other things to go with it.. like the circulatory pump and stuff like that... the kits i was looking at used 5 gallon buckets like you can get at HD/lowes but you were only able to make fill the buckets to 1.5 gallons

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 02-11-2018, 05:04 AM
owned by Fords

I tried one of the electrolysis products years ago. Stinky.
Someone called the Fire dept, said I had a chemical spill
I live on 9 acres
you live pretty close to other houses. Probably not a good idea.....

I got in a little trouble.....
Old 02-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
About all you can do, is clean it off, and clear coat it , unless you want to remove it, take it to bare metal, ship it away, and have it re-chromed
^^^ This, and if not clear coat (which will chip) then wax the chrome so as to repel moisture. As far as rechroming goes, the number of places that do this have significantly decreased over the years due to the environmental issues. There is an old skool bumper shop here that as of a few years back was still doing chrome plate, if not then word on the street has it that they get sent off to a shop in Denver.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
I tried one of the electrolysis products years ago. Stinky.
Someone called the Fire dept, said I had a chemical spill
I live on 9 acres
you live pretty close to other houses. Probably not a good idea.....

I got in a little trouble.....
i woulda been doing it at the NC house if i did it.. 5 acres there... and that house is downwind from the others... amount of wind we get there makes it feel like you have a cat 1 hurricane around all the time..

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus