Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 01-14-2018, 11:37 AM

jssjr1955 is on a distinguished road
Gauge Problem

I have a 1977 F150 6cylinder. The plastic part behind dash cluster is pretty much gone. None of my lights work although once I a while I catch a faint glimpse of a signal blinking. Obviously I need that part and others have posted to me before concerning thst issue. What I want to know is if this part is also related to the speedometer and odometer not working as well. Also my fuel and temperature gauges work intermittently...sometimes way past the far right line and sometimes fairly accurate in unison. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions if all these are related the plastic cluster backing or something like a voltage regulator. I know thst part is available for around $75.00. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 PM

Jssec will become famous soon enoughJssec will become famous soon enough
Installed One Today

Purchased one from LMC last week and installed it today for the same reason. All lights now work and the amp meter started working again my odometer worked but set at an angle now sets correct. Very satisfied with it.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 AM

Thank you. Looks like most of my issues are related. I guess speedometer must be separate. Also I cannot remove the knob on my headlight switch. How did you remove knobs...the windshield wiper was already off when I got truck. Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Removing the headlight knob involves reaching underneath the dash and up above the headlight switch, then pressing a button on top of the switch while pulling the knob and shaft out of the switch. It helps if you are a contortionist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
Your speedometer issue could be related to the dash cluster housing falling apart if it has deteriorated so much that the cable won't stay connected to the speedometer.

I replaced mine last year and now everything in the cluster works great, at least as well as it will for the design. Seriously thinking about getting brighter LED bulbs for better visibility at night.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 01-18-2018, 08:13 AM

Thank you both. Good advice. It is pretty chilly here and I have to work outside so may have to wait on repairs. The dash back part looks like a necessity now. I seldom drive the truck but recent car problems put it on the road. Found out it doesn't like snowy roads.��
Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
Hopefully it will warm up soon and you can replace it.

I took that time to freshen up the gauges, cleaned them up and painted the needle on the speedometer. Looks pretty nice now.

'77 F100 Flareside

Old 01-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Thanks Russell. If I did all that, it would look better than the rest of truck. It needs body work and other things out of my reach now. I have it running pretty decent though.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Texas Chapter member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssjr1955 View Post
... I have it running pretty decent though.
That's the best part right there!

'77 F100 Flareside

Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssjr1955 View Post
I have a 1977 F150 6cylinder. The plastic part behind dash cluster (cluster back) is pretty much gone.
1975/79 F100/350; 1975/80 Econoline; 1978/79 Bronco:

The instrument cluster backs were made of a composition material that can TURN TO DUST before your very eyes!

1981: FoMoCo introduced hard plastic cluster backs for Econolines. These were also the "service part replacements" for the POS cluster backs used 1975/80.

There are TWO different types, Carpenter has both of them NOS

E1PZ-10848-A .. Hard Plastic Cluster Back-Use with Oil/Amp GAUGES / Obsolete

1981/91 Econoline; retrofit: 1975/79 F100/350; 1975/80 Econoline; 1978/79 Bronco.
-----
E1PZ-10848-B .. Hard Plastic Cluster Back-Use with Oil/Amp WARNING LAMPS / Obsolete

1981/86 Econoline; retrofit: 1975/79 F100/350; 1975/80 Econoline; 1978/79 Bronco.

2017 Fusion SE