Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Superduty Gen.2

Superduty Gen.2 2008-2010 F250, F350, F450, F550

Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Blacktruckdave is on a distinguished road
08 F350 Bed loose

Just bought an 08 F350 Supercab with 8 foot bed. When I open the tailgate and pull out the built in step and step on it the front of the bed moves up and down slightly. It looks like the cross rail that holds the bed to the frame is rust rotted. Anyone ever have this problem and how do I go about repairing it? Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 AM

So it seems the Crossmembers under the bed are rotted but the bed does not look that bad. Anyone remove the bed and replace the rails? Tips or suggestions? I'm ready to get my hands dirty just need some direction.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
General idea anytime cancer has ate away metal is to restore the lost metal. Here's a linky to a guy doing a DD bed restore on a different model Ford; you might find this thread of interest:

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/gener...de-photos.html

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 09-24-2017, 07:48 PM

bed looks good ..cross members are rotted
Old 09-26-2017, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

BIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant future
I'll be replacing the cross rails under my wife's 08 F350 srw with C channel trimmed to size after I get my new to me truck goin..... hers are ate up pretty bad but not completely gone yet
Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED911 View Post
I'll be replacing the cross rails under my wife's 08 F350 srw with C channel trimmed to size after I get my new to me truck goin..... hers are ate up pretty bad but not completely gone yet

Keep the forum posted on your progress. I hope to get mine started this month.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

BIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant futureBIGRED911 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktruckdave View Post

Keep the forum posted on your progress. I hope to get mine started this month.
Things that are not sure seem to move at a snails pace here anymore....im on a parts run for my new 02 f350 tomorrow, have to button as much up on it so I can get it out of the shop. Then load to Hattiesburg Ms and make a few rounds in the semi, hopefully be back home in a week and a half or so, so I can get the 02 titled and hopefully the performance goodies are in so I can get them installed......itll probably be mid winter before I pull the bed on my wife's truck.....

ForumRunner_20170926_230007.jpg
Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 AM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
my old truck had that issue... i was just going to cut the old ones off and weld in some square tube same diameter as the original height was.. but gave it to my brother before i got around to doing it..

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 09-27-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky83 View Post
my old truck had that issue... i was just going to cut the old ones off and weld in some square tube same diameter as the original height was.. but gave it to my brother before i got around to doing it..
Has your brother made any moves to repair it? He should join the forum here!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky83 View Post
I'd thought about that approach as well