Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

greenhorn needs c6 band adjustment ?

Made a rookie mistake . I followed a product install video to the T with out educating myself properly before doing the job thinking its a big company should be accurate information...anyway here the million dollar ?. If u back out the band adjustment bolt over half way on a 6c transmission does anything come apart in the tyranny?

Fellro

Staff member
There is a flat metal piece that goes between the adjuster bolt and the band that can potentially fall out... (I am going on pure memory here... but I recall something like that in there... )

There is a flat metal piece that goes between the adjuster bolt and the band that can potentially fall out... (I am going on pure memory here... but I recall something like that in there... )

Yes it does have this piece and it will fall out if the band has any wear to it and you back it off that much.
But its an easy fix just drain the fluid and drop the pan and put it back up there and tighten it back up snug and back it off 1 to 1.5 rounds i think it is.
Be sure to use a new nut for the band adjustment they are prone to leaking with age and being turned.

Fellro

Staff member
Thanks for the verification I am not totally crazy... been quite a while since I have been inside one.

Hey holdfast. What caused you to be messing with the c6 band to begin with? a couple of years ago I had a c6 in a 79 F-100. it was having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I ended up dropping the pan and inspecting the vacuum modulator mechanism. It was sticking and not allowing the 2nd to 3rd shift to happen unless you manipulated the fuel pedal and shifter. It was aggravating. this is just my two cents in case you were having similar problems.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts