Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 07-30-2015, 02:18 PM

Cwalters0806 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 96 F250 headlight troubles

I have a 1996 f250 and I am having problems with the headlights. I used the truck the previous day and everything worked fine but now they don't want to turn on at all. Now it has an HID kit so I figured that was the problem but I put my old headlight in just to see what it does and I only got High beam so now i know it's something with the truck itself. I did some looking and people who had similar problems said a new dimmer fixed the problem. I happened to have an extra one laying around so I put it on but it made no difference. So now I am sort of lost. I get high be with stock halogen bulb but nothing with my HID's. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
When you say new dimmer, are you referring to the multi function switch/ turn signal?
Your truck does not have a floor dimmer switch. last year for that was 91
Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 PM

Yes the turn signal
Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Probably the headlight switch has overheated then.
You will have to pull the dash bezel to get to it. When you pull the harness off the back of the switch, you will see that the harness has partially melted and needs to be replaced as well. I think Napa makes a kit for this

If you are going to run HID headlights, you are going to have to install relays in the wire going to each light to lighten the amp load on that circuit, or you will create too much heat at the switch
Headlights are NOT fused
Old 08-02-2015, 07:58 AM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Charlie is spot on this one. Had to do this on a Explorer I upgraded the lights in.
Randy
Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 PM

I am going to go see if the switch has went out in a little bit here when it stops raining but I'm still not too sure because like I said the will turn on just no low beam. Except for my HID's which don't turn on at all
Old 08-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Ok the headlight switch is good. And now the halogen high beams don't work anymore either so I have no headlights at all
Old 08-02-2015, 06:56 PM
owned by Fords

Did you pull the harness off the switch?
Usually when the switch gets hot, it unpins the wires from warping where they connect to the switch
Old 08-02-2015, 07:37 PM

I unhooked the wiring harness from the switch and jumped it connecting the two correct pins and the headlights did not come on but it powered them as if I turned the headlights on
Old 08-02-2015, 08:23 PM
owned by Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalters0806 View Post
I unhooked the wiring harness from the switch and jumped it connecting the two correct pins and the headlights did not come on but it powered them as if I turned the headlights on
Not sure what you are saying here.... You jumped the wires and added power, and the lights came on?
Sounds like a bad headlight switch, unless I misunderstand what you are saying

Tags
f250, headlights, hid's