Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1973 f100 (camper special)

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to this gen of ford. My question is, I just recently bought a 73 f100 ranger xlt long bed 2wd and I was wondering if it was the camper special. I was wondering if there were surefire ways to tell.if its in the Vin wat do I need to look for? It has the 460 married to a c6 tranny. Any replies appreciated. Pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_20140706_083256988.jpg
  • IMG_20140706_131557137.jpg
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to this gen of ford. My question is, I just recently bought a 73 f100 ranger xlt long bed 2wd and I was wondering if it was the camper special. I was wondering if there were surefire ways to tell.if its in the Vin wat do I need to look for? It has the 460 married to a c6 tranny. Any replies appreciated. Pic below.

Camperspecial.jpg

This is it.

Does this help?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Nothing in the VIN will indicate a camper special package.

I also wonder if they even made a F100 with a camper package. I thought they were only outfitted on F-250/350.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Nothing in the VIN will indicate a camper special package.
Neither will any codes stamped on the Warranty Plate.

I also wonder if they even made a F100 with a camper package. I thought they were only outfitted on F-250/350.

F100/250 Camper Specials were introduced in 1965, F350 Camper Specials were introduced in 1967.

Depending on who you believe, F100 Camper Specials were either cancelled at the end of the 1967 model run or at the end of the 1972 model run.

Fordification claims 1967, but the Ford truck parts catalog lists F100 Camper Special parts thru 1972.

Well, I guess I have an odd-ball then. A 1973 f-100 with the extended wheel-base and spare-tire carrier in the bed side. Nothing has been modified or adapted that I can tell. Must have been a special order or something.

Well mine is definitely a spare tire carrier on the pass. side just in front of the rear tire. The wheelbase is also 140 inches(as opposed to 133 on a regular 8 foot bed).

No, I'm going by the rear spring pack, which is three; and 5 bolt wheels. Even the vin says f-100. Sure wish I knew how to upload pictures on here!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
To upload photos...

Click on the "gallery tab" at the top left of the page...then after that, click on the "upload photos" tab on the right side.

Then you will see 6 boxes where you can browse your computer to find pics....then after that, hit the "upload/submit" tab at the bottom of the page.

Hopefully pics of my '73 F-100

Attachments

• DSC01097.JPG
  • DSC01101.JPG
  • DSC01105.JPG
  • DSC01107.JPG
  • DSC01103.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You're welcome...you can also copy the "BB" code so the picture shows full size in your thread....like this:

DSC011051.JPG

Isnt there a way to tell by the wireing harness for the tail lights? Something about an extra wire?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Well mine is definitely a spare tire carrier on the pass. side just in front of the rear tire. The wheelbase is also 140 inches(as opposed to 133 on a regular 8 foot bed).
The bed has been swapped.
No F100/150/250 came from the factory on the 140" wheelbase.

F350's on the 140" wheelbase: 1973/76 Super Camper Special / 1973/79 Regular Cab Trailer Special / 1977/79 F350 Regular Cab Camper Special.

Ford dropped "Super" after 1976.

The Styleside bed is unique with the 140" wheelbase, as the rear axle is set back further.

Camper Specials came with a pigtailed wire harness/plug used with camper clearance lights. It plugged into the Camper Special only tail light harness that had an extra feed wire for this purpose.

When not in use, this harness was placed inside the glove box.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts